when is a sealey ' roach ' not a sealey 'roach'

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Chavender
Arctic Char

when is a sealey ' roach ' not a sealey 'roach'

Post by Chavender » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:00 pm

when is a sealey ' roach ' not a sealey 'roach' ,well when it has a different tip section .I have a (proper) sealey 'roach ' rod and one I brought last year ,that although has the right butt section with logo's has a different top section

the one with the different tip (no compound taper) is close in overall taper .

when comparing the two top sections they both have the same ferrule and are interchangeable and very close in measurement the sealey is a tad thicker at the tip ,both sections are correct length at 60" and both around the 1lbs b/s mark

so i'm assuming its a replacement tip .I've measured it and at the tip its 0.100" and by the ferrule whipping its .337" .i'm wondering if its a tip from another rod that just closely matches the sealey roach tip .I would of guessed at it being a chapmans tip but it must of been specially made as there isn't a definite match for it on there site .

thing is its very noticeable the difference as the sealey has a pronounced compound taper and this one is a plain fast taper .so can it really be considered a sealey roach without the signature compound taper ?.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Tengisgol
Eel

Re: when is a sealey ' roach ' not a sealey 'roach'

Post by Tengisgol » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:01 pm

All the Sealey Roach rods that I have seen have had that very stepped down taper in the tip.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

AshbyCut
Honorary Vice President

Re: when is a sealey ' roach ' not a sealey 'roach'

Post by AshbyCut » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Tengisgol wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:01 pm
All the Sealey Roach rods that I have seen have had that very stepped down taper in the tip.
Same here, Sir.

I'm sure you're right Chavender, Sir ... and the simple tapered tip is a replacement tip
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

http://www.AshbyCut.com

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”