Rover

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Rover

Post by Vole »

Has anyone used a Sealey "Rover"? In particular, is my hunch that it's a clone/rival of the Lucky Strike wildly wrong?
Any gen appreciated; I bought one, and love it, but I wouldn't want to ruin it by asking too much of it.

It was one of those buy-it-now offers that pop up, and you know the universe intends you to have that rod...I've only tried it once, so far, on roach and fun-sized carp; six-pound line and four-pound carp it handled adequately, but I have a feeling I was getting near the edge of its happy zone. It seems (touching wood) as though it will be a good chub rod, and live up to its name.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

RyanBurns

Re: Rover

Post by RyanBurns »

I had one of these once, it is one of the rods i most regret selling! I used it twice on my local river arrow for medium sized barbel. i found it coped perfectly, landing barbel from the fast water of a weir. im not too sure what it was originally intended for but mine was more powerful than a lucky strike. I think mine was whipped in green with low bells rings.
hope this helps
Ryan

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

It does indeed help, and many thanks for it - mine has high Bell's rings and lots of varnish, but the transfers and fancy whippings at the butt have been preserved. Probably means that the last owner used it for trotting more than legering. A bit of a pain, that, as Low Bell's "Life" rings no longer grow on trees, but at least the cane should be sound, under all that varnish, and that's far more important.

It's about as soft as I'd want a through-actioned rod to be (fly rods excepted, and I'm not sure this baby wouldn't chuck a #6 pretty well), so I think I can push the Lucky Strike off the "most wanted" list; comforting, as I can't afford one!
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I picked up one of these at an auction today, it was bundled with a Sabina and I am as happy as Larry about getting them.

Does your version (Vole, Ryanburns) have the weird reel ring thingy that is fixed (or just unable to slide) around mid-handle? I must say that I think the rod would balance a lot better of it were higher up the handle and, as it needs a spot of refurbishment, I may well move it. The transfers are almost gone on the Rover so it probably won't matter too much of I mess it about, its about enjoying using it really I suppose.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah yes, MA&I, Lot 212.

The Rover didn't usually have a screw-down reel clamp, but Sealey did favour them on their DeLuxe models.
Personally I find them cold to the hand, but they do hold a reel tight.
They should move up and down the handle easily with no reel in position.

It might be that someone has retro-fitted one and it is the wrong size, I've seen this quite a few times, perhaps where folk were trying to 'deluxify' their rods. Even the original Sealey ones( there are 2 types) barely slide off at the butt where the cork swells slightly, so a tight one is vary hard to shift without damaging the cork. I'd be inclined to cut it off if you don't like it and save the cork

Here are some images of a Rover in original trim:

Sadly, I seem to have mislaid the shot of the butt......

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Cor, that's a lot prettier than mine. What the heck did they use to seal that colour of thread?

Anyhow, I can confirm that mine only has aluminium bands, The handle is a slim 7/8" diameter, and 19" long to the tip of the button. Once I get the varnish (!) off, I'll love it, though some reels may need a strip of sheet cork under their feet to make them stay put.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Thanks for the gen guys, I get the impression that somebody has fettled with the handle and got it wrong. The handle is in poor condition and needs some attention as does most of the whippings. My mate does refurbishing to a much higher standard than my ten thumbs could ever manage so I'll let him have a play with it.

RyanBurns

Post by RyanBurns »

As above, mine only had sliding reel bands. Well worth taking the time to sort it out if you iontend to use it!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

This is the real seat that is fitted to the handle, its not even a screw down one. I presume that it is not a standard fitting, I'll either replace it or at least alter the cork to allow it to be used farther up.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Actually that IS a standard Sealey fitting, as fitted to the Octofloat DeLuxe and some other rods.

The rings on it are identical to those fitted to all other Sealey's.

It should slide up and down the handle, perhaps it does now that you've removed the tape?

It could have been that the Rover did have that reel fitting, or a special order or retro-fit.

I do like them personally, they hold the reel very securely...but in Winter they are cold!

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”