Sealey Rover

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Marc
Sea Trout

Sealey Rover

Post by Marc »

Now Chaps,

This rod was mentioned in the 'traditional purchases thread. It is definitely a Rover as can just be made out in this picture.

It's very rough and most of the rings are rusted, also as described it appears to have lost 2" from the tip. I have a couple of questions...

1. Did it ever have lined butt and tip rings? It currently has a large high bell on the butt and a more modern tip ring :Thumbsdown::
2. It has a kind of green reel seat? Is this original? I don't like it but if it's original I'll leave it.
3. What is the rods history, by that I mean what were they intended for? Roving I suppose...

There will be others as I progress but that will do for now..
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

MGs
Pike

Re: Sealey Rover

Post by MGs »

Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

It'll make a cracking rod for you I hope PoD, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Thanks gents. Exactly what I was looking for MGs.

She's a little rough AC but we'll get there my friend. I hope the odd inch off the tip won't spoil her too much.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Since I posted on that old thread I have seen a Rover with a green anodised sliding reel clamp-on-a-tube, just like the one Dave Burr showed on that thread a posts later.

I've also found a eBay seller with the right silk...yes real Celebrated Elephant silk......and he's just run out.

:Brickwall: :Brickwall: :Brickwall: :Brickwall:

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I've been trawling H&H and rods and blanks but can't find the green. Why didn't you buy a lifetime supply Nobby! I'd have gladly crossed your palm with silver for a spool or two.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Take at look at guidesnblanks ... Fish Hawk 100% Silk No 220 (near the bottom) ... it might be close, if a little darker (it's lighter than it look in the photo).

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product/379/category/236
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

:Hat: Just been browsing Dave burr's Rover and it looks a very nice rod indeed. Good luck with the restoration POD and keep us all updated on the rods progress.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Well done PoD you will enjoy your Rover when its done up, its a great all rounder. :Thumb:

As you can see mine has been rewhipped in a darker silk but it still looks good. I've taken that reel seat job off and replaced it with a couple of standard rings and the rod feels better for it.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I've stripped the rod just need to remove the varnish. There is delamination on all three sections so plenty of opportunity for learning. The underside of the thread is a beautiful green, close to what you say AC, so I think I'll be buying a one of threads from G&B...

Never done a delaminated tip, so there's a few questions for another day. So nice to have a project on the go.

I'm happy to hear that the rod is well thought of. What does the esteemed forum think of the tip being short? Not a worry or should I seek a replacement?
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”