The Edgar Sealey & Sons - Range of Cane Rods

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: The Edgar Sealey & Sons - Range of Cane Rods

Post by Mark »

Foss Fisher wrote:There is also theEdgar Sealey 'Brook ' 2 piece 8 ft split cane fly rod
Thank you FF, first post updated.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Edgar Sealey Octospin heavy 8ft can provide a picture if anyone is interested.

Regards Trefor

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Have just purchased a Floatcaster deluxe, later version, with the two fishes logo.
11', all split cane, whipped in the usual blue, lined tip and butt rings. 20" trumpet shaped cork handle with the usual nice alloy sliding rings and plain alloy butt cap.
The rod is in remarkable condition, having seen very little use, if any.
More importantly, the cane feels very nice indeed, alive and 'steely' in the hand. I have several Octofloats, earlier Octopus versions, and an earlier Floatcaster, whole cane butt version. I wasn't expecting too much from the later Edgar sealey offering, but I am looking forward to using it, it simply feels right.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'd not heard of a Floatcaster de-Luxe that was all built cane before, there was the famous whole cane butt rod and the later split cane butt with fibreglass middle and tip version, but yours is a new one on me.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby wrote:I'd not heard of a Floatcaster de-Luxe that was all built cane before, there was the famous whole cane butt rod and the later split cane butt with fibreglass middle and tip version, but yours is a new one on me.
Nor have I Nobby, Sir.

My 1958 leaflet of Edgar Sealey rods describes the Floatcaster De Luxe as 11ft or 12ft ... "Jap cane butt, built cane middle and top. Attractively finished. The best cheap bottom rod on the market."

By the 1964 Price List the Floatcaster de Luxe are still 11ft and 12ft, but now they are built of hollow glass.

In the 1967 Equipment catalogue the Floatcaster De Luxe is, again, 11ft and 12ft ... but now described as "A cleverly designed rod comprising a split cane butt and a light fast middle joint and top in hollow glass."

By the 1969 catalogue the Floatcaster has disappeared from the list completely.

Any chance of some photographs Crucian, Sir ?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

We're pretty sure the two-fishes logo only came out in 1963 so that's not much of a window for crucians rod. Interesting to read that it was all-glass and reverted to a composite...I'd just assumed it was the other way around.....

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Crucian wrote:Have just purchased a Floatcaster deluxe, later version, with the two fishes logo.
11', all split cane, whipped in the usual blue, lined tip and butt rings. 20" trumpet shaped cork handle with the usual nice alloy sliding rings and plain alloy butt cap.
The rod is in remarkable condition, having seen very little use, if any.
More importantly, the cane feels very nice indeed, alive and 'steely' in the hand. I have several Octofloats, earlier Octopus versions, and an earlier Floatcaster, whole cane butt version. I wasn't expecting too much from the later Edgar sealey offering, but I am looking forward to using it, it simply feels right.
I'd love to see pictures of this all split cane floatcaster.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Sorry for the delay, I have been working away from home this past week.
Photo's, as requested;
Image Image Image Image

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Well I am surprised by that!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I've only ever seen that badge with the 2 fishes and the words "Float Rod", and the model name written vertically, on the Gladding Sealey era fibre glass rods ... like this image of an 'Octostrike' 'borrowed' from the internet :-

The 'font' of the letters of the model name certainly seem to be identical between the two.

By the way ... that 'Octostrike' isn't listed in any of my catalogues which are all 1969 or earlier.

It seems to suggest that your rod came right at the point when Edgar Sealey and Gladding became one

Whenever it came ... that's possibly a 'rare' rod ... unless someone knows differently ?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”