Octofloat

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
User avatar
Wagtail
Arctic Char
Posts: 1557
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Re: Octofloat

Post by Wagtail » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Ryeman wrote:Hi Paul,
A screw-in butt extension wouldn't bring about the effect I'm discussing. I don't want a longer handle. I want to be able to hold the rod, when fishing with it, higher up than the present handle allows. When I hold it a few inches above the top of the present handle -in the area where the name of the rod is - the whole balance of the rod feels much better. Now I could simply achieve this by extending the length of the handle by 7" inches at its upper end, by gluing some more corks on. If the butt end of the handle was then left intact, the original 20" handle would now be 27" long, making it too long for comfortable trotting, when the rod has to be sometimes passed across your body. So to keep the handle length to 20" , 7" would have to be removed from the butt-end.

Alan
I suspect that if you add 7" of cork at the top of the handle, and then removed 7" from the bottom end, the point of balance would not alter very much and you would just be left with a shorter rod that still felt front heavy...

I don't own an Octofloat; but do have a Nufloat (that replaced the Octofloat) and it is a good general purpose rod
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

User avatar
Ryeman
Silver Bream
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:31 am

Re: Octofloat

Post by Ryeman » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Wagtail, I think you are probably right. The rod feels good when held a few inches up above the top of the handle. But it is being counter-balanced by the mass at the butt end . Removing 7" of this will, as you say, tip the rod forewards again. In the modifications done by Wal and Crucian, they increased the handle length from 20" to 24". If I opted for the same increase I would only need to remove 3" off the butt end. This would provide a bit of counter-balance. But I think Wal's and Crucian's overall method is better than my idle speculations. Apart from anything else, they have actually done the job, and found that it worked.

Alan

User avatar
Vole
Tench
Posts: 2869
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:48 am
Location: Barnet

Re: Octofloat

Post by Vole » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:40 pm

It's a bit less irreversible if you make an extension for the butt - this would lengthen it about 6", and could also carry some counterweight.
Edit]; Oops, sorry, should have read whole page! . Still, a fighting butt is a quick fix that you can take off if you decide to part company with the rod.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

User avatar
Jeremy Croxall
Eel
Posts: 2182
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:05 am
Location: Matlock Derbyshire

Re: Octofloat

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:07 am

Harry H wrote:That will be a great combination,I would have thought 3-4lb line would be sufficient for your needs. It won't be long before the bug takes hold and you will be getting more centrepins and rods so you will have every situation covered.
Its a slippery slope :Thumb:
Remember this post Harry? Well, you were quite right....I now posess no less than seven cane rods, two centre pins and eight vintage fixed spool reels and it's only been twelve months since your post! My wife is seriously worried!!
With my silken line and delicate hook, I wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom.
Li Yu

User avatar
Harry H
Eel
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:04 pm
Location: Rayne, Essex

Re: Octofloat

Post by Harry H » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 pm

Jeremy Croxall wrote:
Harry H wrote:That will be a great combination,I would have thought 3-4lb line would be sufficient for your needs. It won't be long before the bug takes hold and you will be getting more centrepins and rods so you will have every situation covered.
Its a slippery slope :Thumb:
Remember this post Harry? Well, you were quite right....I now posess no less than seven cane rods, two centre pins and eight vintage fixed spool reels and it's only been twelve months since your post! My wife is seriously worried!!
Just tell her she's not on her own, there are lots of long suffering wives on here :Chuckle:
Keep on sneaking them in. :eyebrow:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

User avatar
Tengisgol
Tench
Posts: 2983
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:49 pm
Location: Essex Boy
Contact:

Re: Octofloat

Post by Tengisgol » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:42 pm

Harry H wrote:
Jeremy Croxall wrote:
Harry H wrote:That will be a great combination,I would have thought 3-4lb line would be sufficient for your needs. It won't be long before the bug takes hold and you will be getting more centrepins and rods so you will have every situation covered.
Its a slippery slope :Thumb:
Remember this post Harry? Well, you were quite right....I now posess no less than seven cane rods, two centre pins and eight vintage fixed spool reels and it's only been twelve months since your post! My wife is seriously worried!!
Just tell her she's not on her own, there are lots of long suffering wives on here :Chuckle:
Keep on sneaking them in. :eyebrow:
I'm very lucky that my next door neighbour works at home, so he brings them in under the radar for me. Trouble is I think he secretly has the same arrangement with the wife and her shoes and bags. No wonder we're always skint!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

User avatar
Jeremy Croxall
Eel
Posts: 2182
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:05 am
Location: Matlock Derbyshire

Re: Octofloat

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:49 pm

Tengisgol wrote:
Harry H wrote:
Jeremy Croxall wrote:
Harry H wrote:That will be a great combination,I would have thought 3-4lb line would be sufficient for your needs. It won't be long before the bug takes hold and you will be getting more centrepins and rods so you will have every situation covered.
Its a slippery slope :Thumb:
Remember this post Harry? Well, you were quite right....I now posess no less than seven cane rods, two centre pins and eight vintage fixed spool reels and it's only been twelve months since your post! My wife is seriously worried!!
Just tell her she's not on her own, there are lots of long suffering wives on here :Chuckle:
Keep on sneaking them in. :eyebrow:
I'm very lucky that my next door neighbour works at home, so he brings them in under the radar for me. Trouble is I think he secretly has the same arrangement with the wife and her shoes and bags. No wonder we're always skint!
My Granny used to say "money's no good to you, what you need is stock"!
With my silken line and delicate hook, I wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom.
Li Yu

Post Reply

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest