Octofloat

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Octofloat

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

:fishing2: Hi there, this is my first post!
I am about to acquire an Edgar Sealey Octofloat rod which I shall be using with a Rapidex reel. I wondered what line rating is appropriate for this rod, I'm guessing 3-6 lb bs? Is the rod suited to general fishing for silverfish through to tench and the like? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I wouldn't want to over stress the rod. Many thanks.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Harry H
Tench

Re: Octofloat

Post by Harry H »

That will be a great combination,I would have thought 3-4lb line would be sufficient for your needs. It won't be long before the bug takes hold and you will be getting more centrepins and rods so you will have every situation covered.
Its a slippery slope :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Hi Jeremy, it may be useful for you to know that Octofloats vary quite a bit in terms of their 'beefiness' for want of a better word. I have two which are quite different, the thickness of the sections being 40 1/000 of an inch different at any given point other than at the top foot or so. The bigger rod being obviously more powerful than the smaller. The ferrules consequently being different sizes have letters stamped on them to distinguish them. I can't remember the letters off hand but if you want more info pm me.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's most unusual...all my Octofloat rod sections were swappable, the ferrules being the same size.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

They certainly do have different actions. My dads is particularly wobbly, to the extent that he hardly uses it. Mine has a nice crisp action. I use it with 4lb line but would go up to 6. I've landed carp to 8lb on it without too many issues. Although it is better suited to smaller fish.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

I have an Octofloat, a junk-shop find that I restored- that is quite floppy. It seems a bit unbalanced when you use it for trotting. Not as crisp as an Aspindale Avondale, for eg. But I like it for touch-legering, which seems slightly ironic when you consider the name of the rod. I imagine it would also be good for float fishing in stillwaters. By coincidence I use mine with a Rapidex as well, loaded with 4lb Maxima, which probably equates to 5lb. Had some nice chub with it from the River Rye at the bottom of my garden.

Alan

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Hi Jeremy,
The first cane rod I purchased was an Octofloat. They are a good all round rod, I have used mine for tench on stillwaters and chub in rivers. I'd say your line rating was about right, but I find that cane is usually more forgiving with line than carbon, so Harry H's suggestion is valid...Enjoy.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

I have read all the comments on the Octofloat with a great deal of interest. I bought one more years ago than I care to remember and it was the rod I kept for the shortest period of time (about 3 weeks!) First time out was tench fishing, not too bad with the rod in the rest most of the time. Second trip to Radcote on the Upper Thames, chub fishing this time. After half an hour or so with my arms near breaking point I packed up and went home. I put it up for sale and let it go for the first reasonable offer. Mine was floppy (I did not buy it, it was a gift and one waggle told me all I needed to know). I suppose all makers bring out a duff rod every now and then and in fact I know that is so from the problems I had buying a decent James MK 1V and that was at the time when most tackle shops stocked them. You must have a good waggle before parting with your cash.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Many thanks for the response to my post, very much appreciate the information. This is my first cane rod so I will be on a bit of a learning curve with it but very much looking forward to the cane experience!
Again many thanks and regards to all.
Jeremy.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

I've just had my Octofloat out of it's bag and had a play around with it. It really does feel top-heavy when you hold it in the normal place, i.e. just below the top of its handle. But I discovered that when you hold it about five inches above the top of the handle it completely transforms the rod into something that feels very nice indeed.
To make this work you would have to cut six or seven inches off the butt end of the rod, and extend the handle at the upper end by the same amount. This would preserve the original handle length of 20". But you would lose the transfer and the name, of course. This would all disappear under the new corks.
Some here might think this is butchery.....Some, who like the feel of their Octofloat might think it a pointless modification. And Jeremy, I do wish you well with yours.

When I bought my Octofloat it was a wreck. I gave it a lot of loving care and attention, stripping it down to the bare cane, whipping new rings on, doing the intermediate whippings, and carefully varnishing it. It looked great! But after using it a few times it hasn't been out of its bag much.. I have rods that are more of a pleasure to use. But if I did the modification described above I have the feeling that it could become one of my favourite rods.
I'd be interested to hear other people's views on this.

Alan

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”