Edgar Sealey The"Roach" rod

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Keston
Tench

Edgar Sealey The"Roach" rod

Post by Keston »

Image Image Image This morning I purchased an Edgar Sealey The "Roach" rod at a car boot sale . I was curious as to how this would have looked originally in tems of rings and whippings etc.
At this time it has a white ceramic tip eye whipped on in black and the other rings are black (anti flash ) and taped on .
I have searched but not found much detail so would be grateful for and information or images.
Regards
John

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Re: Edgar Sealey The"Roach" rod

Post by Wagtail »

I suspect Ashby Cut may have a catalogue with more positive evidence; but based on other '2-fishes' logo Sealey rods I think your tip ring is original, the intermediates would have been stand-off chrome rings and the butt ring would have had a white porcelain liner like the tip (or possibly even an un-lined chrome like the other rings). Whippings might have been black as are already on your rod, or perhaps red, or even a pale green that Sealey used quite often on rods of that era. The nearest colour match for the green that I've found is Mettler Polysheen in colour 0532. Hope this helps :Hat:

By the way, I wish I'd found that one at a boot sale :mrgreen:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

~Butt ring is an old Seymo?

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thanks for the info.
I was curious about the black rings especially as I had read a sales listing which referred to black anti flash rings .
John

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Lovely find there Keston, have a look at this TFF thread and the links in Ashby Cuts post, which may help you.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=20592&p=279798&hil ... ch#p279798

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Hi Reedling
I had seen those threads but noted that rod was earlier as it was before the two fishes logo . I was also unable to ascertain ring types .
It was nice to see they are sought after and I noticed a few selling in excess of £100.
I would like to see if I can restore my car boot find to close to original if I can .
John

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Nice rod you have there.
I have one too, interestingly the tapers are very close to Peter Stone's 'Ledgerstrike' by Chapmans.
I put a longer handle, a better ferrule and a few more rings on mine.
It's a lovely rod...and a lot cheaper than the Ledgerstrike.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Crucian wrote:Nice rod you have there.
I have one too, interestingly the tapers are very close to Peter Stone's 'Ledgerstrike' by Chapmans.
Thanks Crucian
The handle could be a bit longer so nice modification . What rings did it have originally ? White tip and butt ? Normal high bell type for the others ? Sorry for all the questions but were there any decorative whippings ?
I think this will make a nice small river rod anc as it only cost me £3 this morning Its worth it if I have to buy some rings and materials .
John

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Keston wrote:
Crucian wrote:Nice rod you have there.
Thanks Crucian
The handle could be a bit longer so nice modification . What rings did it have originally ? White tip and butt ? Normal high bell type for the others ? Sorry for all the questions but were there any decorative whippings ?
I think this will make a nice small river rod anc as it only cost me £3 this morning Its worth it if I have to buy some rings and materials .
John
Mine had porcelain tip and butt rings with 'High bell's' intermediates. Whipped in plain black with no intermediates. The cork handle was short and of poor quality, as was the ferrule. But...the cane is very good indeed.

Definitely worth a bit of work, I'm sure you'll like it. I use mine regularly, ledgering for chub and it is quite superb.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Wagtail wrote:I suspect Ashby Cut may have a catalogue with more positive evidence; but based on other '2-fishes' logo Sealey rods I think your tip ring is original, the intermediates would have been stand-off chrome rings and the butt ring would have had a white porcelain liner like the tip (or possibly even an un-lined chrome like the other rings). Whippings might have been black as are already on your rod, or perhaps red, or even a pale green that Sealey used quite often on rods of that era. The nearest colour match for the green that I've found is Mettler Polysheen in colour 0532. Hope this helps :Hat:

By the way, I wish I'd found that one at a boot sale :mrgreen:
Looking again maybe the odd bits of whippings on the rod are a dark green and my eyes were confused by the black tape . Still not sure though.
I was very suprised when the seller told me his price especially as he knew exactly what it was .
John

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”