Edgar Sealey The"Roach" rod

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
MGs
Pike

Re: Edgar Sealey The"Roach" rod

Post by MGs »

You will enjoy it. Lovely rod, a good all round rod. Fine for the small species but with enough back bone to handle carp up to double figures
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

MGs wrote:You will enjoy it. Lovely rod, a good all round rod. Fine for the small species but with enough back bone to handle carp up to double figures
These rods seem highly regarded by people who have owned and used them . I hadn't quite imagined carp to double figures but yes they do look a good general purpose rod , and nice and light with it.
I am eager to get mine into action but I shan't rush it .
Regards
John

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I landed one of about 8lb using mine recently
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Fabulous , I have a feeling this could turn out to be my "go to" rod .

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

I brought mels rod "the roach" and its a very capable rod ,the compound taper makes the tip fine enough for roach ,but the rod has a lot more power lower down to handle bigger fish .it has the wire wound rings ,but I have seen them with chrome/S.steel stand off rings ,weather they was replacements or a later model I don't know .but they looked ok .I think black rings would look ok too ...

the only draw back is the short handle ,and being 10ft ,if the handle was longer as was the length and kept in proportion it would be a perfect rod .I love the rod it is a pity its a capped end to the handle ,a threaded end I could of made a extension too screw into it ,if the rod wasn't in such good condition I might of made changes but I didn't want too mess with it ,so I made another 10ft roach rod instead so now I have the sealey rod and mine.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Chavender wrote:I brought mels rod "the roach" and its a very capable rod ,the compound taper makes the tip fine enough for roach ,but the rod has a lot more power lower down to handle bigger fish .it has the wire wound rings ,but I have seen them with chrome/S.steel stand off rings ,weather they was replacements or a later model I don't know .but they looked ok .I think black rings would look ok too ...

the only draw back is the short handle ,and being 10ft ,if the handle was longer as was the length and kept in proportion it would be a perfect rod .I love the rod it is a pity its a capped end to the handle ,a threaded end I could of made a extension too screw into it ,if the rod wasn't in such good condition I might of made changes but I didn't want too mess with it ,so I made another 10ft roach rod instead so now I have the sealey rod and mine.
Hi Chavender
It seems you have the best of both worlds , a nice as original Roach rod and one to your own specifications.
I thought long and hard on the handle of mine but have decided to leave it as standard . I felt a longer fatter handle would help with my hand pain . Recently however I have been using a lovely old 9ft 3piece rod on the river , said rod has a small 16inch handle but as a package the rod itself is so well balanced its a joy to use.
The handle cap on mine is tarnished and the worst part of my rod . I fear replacing it but I fear more not replacing it and having a restored rod with an ugly end cap.
I have been slowly collecting parts and materials for my Roach rod and will very soon begin bringing her back to life . I will go with amber lined tip and butt and high bells .
I have had good advice from Wal etc on replacing the ferrule and feel after a couple of dry runs I can attempt it .
I still feel some sense of disbelief at how nice this blank is . I find myself looking over the tip often and wondering how its possible to make it so perfectly .
Regards
John

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

I replaced the tarnished and damaged butt cap on mine with a nice chrome collar and screw in rubber button from a fly rod which is in good proportion. The collar simply screwed in tightly onto the cork of the handle and hasn't given me a moment's trouble in getting on ten years now. Yes, there's a lip between collar and cork but it's very easy to live with (it's a user rod not a collector's piece) and it's a huge improvement on the look of the rod.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Hi Troutbeck
I may look at a small cap & button as an option , it certainly doesn't look out of proportion and dare I say it better than a plain end cap.
May I ask if those are new reel bands ? If not mayI be a cheeky fellow an and ask how how you cleaned them up ?
Regards
John

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

I can't quite remember now if I changed the reel bands or not but I have a sneaking feeling that I might have swopped the originals for some nicer ones on an old Pegley Davies solid glass spinning rod. In any case, I have cleaned up plenty of reel bands just using "000" or "0000" steel wool. Comes up lovely and you can do it while watching the telly. If the bands have to stay on the rod I just wrap a section of the handle in masking tape and slide the bands over it. That way I don't get those nasty grey powder marks on the cork.

When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Swythyn Troutbeck wrote:I can't quite remember now if I changed the reel bands or not but I have a sneaking feeling that I might have swopped the originals for some nicer ones on an old Pegley Davies solid glass spinning rod. In any case, I have cleaned up plenty of reel bands just using "000" or "0000" steel wool. Comes up lovely and you can do it while watching the telly. If the bands have to stay on the rod I just wrap a section of the handle in masking tape and slide the bands over it. That way I don't get those nasty grey powder marks on the cork.

Much obliged Sir :Hat:

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”