Edgar Sealey ESS rod identification

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
DaveTheFish

Edgar Sealey ESS rod identification

Post by DaveTheFish »

Hi all,
I bought an Edgar Sealey ESS rod from ebay today, though i'm not sure exactly what rod it is.
I was looking for a fairly powerful barbel / light carp stalking rod. to start off my traditional angling kit.
and this seemed to have decent length and taper though has a few issues that need addressing.

The ferrule was a bit bent, meaning the top section raked off at a bit of an angle but i managed to straighten this out.
And some of the whipping has been repaired but not perfectly.
I suspect the rod may have lost a bit of length but i'm not sure...

from butt to tip it is 9' 6" two sections, all lined rings, with a black rubber button on the cork butt.
i think it's a salmex spinning rod? but it looks to have been refurbished in the past and the makers name and model are missing.
it just has the ESS octopus logo.

I've already cleaned the cork handle and will fill the few holes with cork dust and pva glue and then sand it down.
i've also ordered some green silk thread from guidesnblanks to re-whip the ferrules and one eye that needs re-whipping.
not too sure on exact colour but closest i could find was a fishhawk 'light green 220'

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Edgar Sealey ESS rod identification

Post by Duebel »

That's a lovely rod, Dave! The handle looks nice and I'm sure it will be a pleasure to use this rod.
But be careful, buying and repairing cane rods is quite addictive!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

It certainly looks like a 'Salmex,' and prior to 1964 as it was about '63/64 that Edgar Sealey changed the logo from the 'Octopus' to the Two Fishes.'

viewtopic.php?f=193&t=7167&p=100625&hil ... ex#p100625

The 1964 Price List lists two versions of the 'Salmex' ... 9ft. and 10ft. (Page 4 in the image below) ... so you're right that yours may have lost a few inches. As a reel, the Price List recommends using a 'Levelwinde,' a multiplier for salmon or light sea spinning,shown on Page 8.

viewtopic.php?f=271&t=13222
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

DaveTheFish

Post by DaveTheFish »

Thanks very much for the info AshbyCut :Thumb:
I suspected it my have lost some length due to the spigot re-whipping, but the taper still looks smooth even so.
Though I don't intend to change the look of the rod at all, just attempt a better repair of the whipping and varnish.
It will probably be repurposed as a river/stalking rod.

To be honest i've never owned or used a centre pin or multiplier reel, i've always just finger dabbed an open spool reel when trotting on a river.
I was looking at some of the early mitchell 300 reels to pair it with, as that is what i'm used to and what I had 2nd hand as a first reel.

Thanks for the links, the Sealy catalogues are facinating!
And you have a salmex rod too but the full 10ft, It would be interesting to know where my rod has lost parts from.

DaveTheFish

Post by DaveTheFish »

Duebel wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:28 am That's a lovely rod, Dave! The handle looks nice and I'm sure it will be a pleasure to use this rod.
But be careful, buying and repairing cane rods is quite addictive!
your not wrong there!
I'm spending entirely too much time browsing web sites looking for my next cane rod...

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

DaveTheFish wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:59 pmAnd you have a salmex rod too but the full 10ft, It would be interesting to know where my rod has lost parts from.
Not 'have,' Sir ... 'had.' The rod was passed on to young MaggotDrowner, who made a good job of rebuilding it.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”