The 10´6´´ Minocast

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Bata

The 10´6´´ Minocast

Post by Bata »

The Edgar Sealey 10´6 Minocast
I would like to ask the Forum about a Rod I received in 2006. It was sold on ebay as a two piece plus detachable butt Sealey full split cane rod with very meagre description. What I received was a very promising looking carp rod, although in poor condition. Very fine spigotted ferrules and fine original rod bag. I refurbished it, ripped the old varnish off, whipped it in bottle green tipped with red with low bell agates throughout. After several coats of my favourite alkyd varnish its my everyday rod when it comes to stalking carp.
Its 10´6´´ in length with an action crisper than the MkIV type rods and very versatile. It casts baits with virtually no weight (hook full of sweetcorn or single dog biscuit) to a better distance than any other rod I used and positively locks up when playing a big carp in the margins. So I would use it in nine times out of ten when I go stalking for carp. Equipped with an Altex III MkV and modern Flourocarbon it won over most battles with carp up to 30 pounds.

Now my question to you fellow splitcane-aficionados:
Does anybody know anything about that rod? What was it made for and when, was it a heavy spinner (Like the impressive 10 ft Salmex) or just another MkVI follow up? Do you have any catalogue entries?
Thanks in advance from Germany,
Bata
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: The 10´6´´ Minocast

Post by AshbyCut »

The only internet reference I can find is an 11ft version ... put up for auction at "The Southern Counties Sporting Sale" in 2010 (scroll down to lot number 890), described as a "pike rod." The catalogue link is below.

Whether it sold or not I cannot say.

http://www.auctionmarts.com/%5Ccatalogue%5Cc63491.pdf

The only Sealey catalogue I have is 1969, when all but one of the rods are now glass.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Looks like a very nice rod. Excellent work on the refurbishment
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Remiss of me ... I meant to say, and agree with all MGs says !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I did wonder if the name suggested it was for 'casting minnows'? A pike rod then? I'd never heard of it until now. It looks Mid to Late Fifties by the label and bag....if the bag is the original of course.

What a nice rod.

Bata

Post by Bata »

Nobby and AshbyCut, that would fit together with the auctions entry stating it was a pike rod. A bit light for a pike rod to me, but still...
I remember I used it once with a nice old pike bung on a drizzly athmospheric autumn day. It caught a small pike for me, maybe it IS a pike rod!
salutations,
Bata
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Devon minnows?
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

That is one nice rod Bata old chap.

I never pike fished when I lived in Germany, caught quite a few small Zander out of theRhine ind you.

Gaz

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

It's very nice and with a name like minocast I would guess it must be a pike rod. Otherwise it would be a strange name for a carp rod.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

XXX

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”