Chris Yates Merlin

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Rusty
Ruffe

Chris Yates Merlin

Post by Rusty »

After two years of agonising (and saving) I collected my Merlin rod last Friday. It was ordered after a visit to Edward’s workshop and a good waggle of another customer’s Merlin which was in for repair. That particular rod felt light enough for trotting duties so I made it clear what I’d be using it for and took the plunge. Whilst what I have is a thing of outstanding beauty it’s a hefty thing of outstanding beauty, the rod alone weighs in at 14 ounces and adding a centrepin takes the total package up to 1lb 7oz. I’m no lightweight and I haven’t used the rod yet but garden waggling suggests that this is not going to be the ideal trotting set-up.

I do have some experience of split cane rods (a brilliant Paul Cooke MkIV Avon which is one foot shorter and three ounces lighter) so I was fully aware of the weight penalty but I didn’t expect a float rod to be this heavy. Is this representative of the Merlin weight do you think or is my rod an anomaly?

I’d be really grateful for some opinions and if you could pop a similar rod on the kitchen scales that would be great.

Thank you.

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Chris Yates Merlin

Post by Snape »

My 1997 Merlin weighs in at 15 oz.
It maybe a matter of what you are used to. I have never used c*rbon rods and have used cane exclusively for over 20 years and as such am used to it and do not find holding the Merlin for long periods a problem at all.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

If you really don't want to keep the rod you'll have no problem selling it, but I really wouldn't. Ignore the scales and become well acquainted with it. If I had the funds I'd be making you an offer here and now for it.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Get in the queue..... :Cool: :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Also there may be an advantage to having a rod which you cannot hold for hours on end as you will be forced to put it down occasionally and do something else: put on the kelly kettle, watch the birds or the clouds or the water, lay back in the grass and have a snooze, climb a tree, go for an explore etc etc.....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I`ve never actually noticed the weight, fishing with the Merlin, its an utterly exquisite rod........I wouldn't use it for trotting, not suitable, its used for touch ledgering, after barbel and chub...perfect.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

I consider myself very lucky to be the proud owner of 2 Merlins the first is No13 of the first batch 1993 I think but need to check. The second is older and previously owned by a wel known author. The two rods are totally different the first I can trot with all day without a break the second however is heavier and more in line whith what Snape and Michael describe. I cannot explain what they are different and actually it doesn't matter as they are both sublime in their own way.
I do thinks it's worth remembering though that CY once described the Merlin as the best Barbel he had ever used which does suggest it was never designed for trotting in the first place.
Bumble

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I have never considered the Merlin as a trotting rod. I use it for touch ledgering in rivers and float fishing in lakes although I do occasionally use it with a fat chubber float float in moving water. Edward described it a the 'ultimate wizard' and I don't think any wizard rod is a trotting rod. I think that with the increase in size of barbel the Merlin is not so suitable any more and it would struggle with a double figure barbel esp in current. For bigger barbel (on the rare occasions I can find them!) I use the Bishop or Barbus Maximus.

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

I have a theory:
It's not the weight that counts. If the balance of the rod is right, you can hold it all day easily. It sounds paradox, but If it feels heavy try with a heavier reel or move the reel an inch further down the handle. Sometimes that makes all the difference. A well balanced rod won't put all the weight only on your forefinger.
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Hamburger wrote:I have a theory:
It's not the weight that counts. If the balance of the rod is right, you can hold it all day easily. It sounds paradox, but If it feels heavy try with a heavier reel or move the reel an inch further down the handle. Sometimes that makes all the difference. A well balanced rod won't put all the weight only on your forefinger.
That sounds very good advice. You could also talk to Mr. Barder, he should know...
Best, Bobby

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”