Trying out the Grenfell Tower raffle Merlin

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Trying out the Grenfell Tower raffle Merlin

Post by Vole »

I've always known I have hidden shallows, but I was a bit shocked at how quickly the sight of carp and barbel doing the "Nyaa, Nyaa, Can't Catch Me" dance in the shallows at my feet banished the sombre mood I'd been in on the drive to the river, reflecting on the tragedy that had led to the Merlin's and my paths crossing, but there they were, flaunting and taunting, and the old, predatory lizard-brain hit the "Boost" button...
So it was that I was shaking as I moved my box back a few feet and began to bait the swim and assemble the tackle.
Two blessings from outrageous fortune have come my way lately, The Merlin and the Conquest that member Rod put up as a prize in an anagram competition a while back; I couldn't really use one with out the other, so I'd loaded the reel up with six-pound line (the recommended maximum for the rod) and was treated to the Merlin's first surprise: the best reel-bands I've ever met. I don't know what it is, their inner geometry, the resilience of the metal used, possibly the quality of the cork handle, but I've never had a reel gripped so securely (I'd always assumed that pausing mid-fight to re-set the things was an integral part of the excitement of traditional angling!) by a pair of sliding bands. Six-pound string was pushing one's luck on this little river, but at least I'd be able to focus on not getting it broken. Float bands, shot, leger stop, and quick-change bead were all threaded on (spot the mistake), a size 12 to six-pound hook was attached, baited with a couple of tares and lowered into the mass of scaly dancers who were tearing up the silt at my feet, and who promptly spooked off.
Ok, it's their job. Distract the angler so that the others can get a bit of kip. Received wisdom is that one ignores them and ledgers as close to the far bank rushes as possible; but where's the fun in that? Back they came, and ignored the bit of bread that now awaited them; this ruse has worked before, but the shallows are paved with gudgeon who will whittle the bait away, so it has to work quickly or not at all.
Hmm.
Plan "C" - a third of a mussel, swum just beyond the slack. A bob of the float, a tug at the already tight line, and in came a four-ounce perch, foul-hooked near the tail. Doesn't count. While I was unhooking it without getting jabbed or sliced by Perchie's sharp bits, I had forgotten the Conquest's vice, and it reminded me with a massive bird's-nest when I returned my attention to it; sort that requires the drum be removed and the line peeled off sideways, alternating sides between pulls so as not to accumulate twist. I think there were seven of the original hundred turns of line left on the spool when I finally reached the bit that hadn't contributed to the tangle...
Still it all helps "rest the swim", doesn't it.
Er, no.
The dancers had gone into Stealth Mode, all except for the carp, who know a pillock when they see one, so baits dropped under the rod-top were ignored, as was any bait run down the middle or near the far side.
After an hour or so of this, I began to think in terms of legering. ( :surrender: )
At this point, I spotted the mistake: no swivel. Oh, bother. Oh, pee, po, belly, bum, drawers*. And worse.
I threaded a few bits of wet bread up the hook and swung it downstream, where I could just see the float, but the bait was round the corner of the bankside reeds, and started to ferret about for a clip-swivel.
Bzz-zz-zz. Oh, heavens, that's the reel... Brake into a running fish, and off she goes!
I did try to take a shot of the rod's action curve, but I'm no "Badger1" and the results were useless. Imagine a fine tip, straightened out along the tight line, then the power curve building up, then fading again as the powerful butt asserts itself... Lovely.
So, ten past five and I have a barbel to report!
Of course, his selfless gesture was planned to make me forget about legering...
Fifteen minutes later, a repeat performance came to an abrupt end when the spade-end hook shed its whipping; most vexing, as that had been tied at leisure and should have been fine. Oh, well, own silly fault.
On went a Dunlop size eight on six-pound line. These are amazing value; sharp,strong,and with a never-gonna-let-you-go curve, they seem the ideal barbel hook... priced at £1.99 for a box of forty-eight and reduced to half that.
Onto that went a mussel.
Nuffin'. Tried to the left, to the right, running through, laying on... forty minutes of nada, save for the bubble-streams of the stealthy ex-dancers snurfing my ground-bait. Finally, I poked the bait as close against the right-hand, upstream corner of the rushes as I could get it. This was, on reflection, a stupid thing to do, as it was where the carp love to feed, and if one of them had slipped up, it would not have ended well. Fortunately, it was a chub of about 2 1/2 pounds that took it, and the Merlin had no difficulty in persuading that out of trouble.
At half-past six, something gave a screeching bite on bread; I picked up the rod and the hook pulled out. Most odd.
Twenty minutes later, barbel number two took a bit of bread, round the downstream corner of the slack.
Then everything wend dead for just over an hour. This often happens, the water colours and speeds up, and rather more leaves and twigs come down, and the fish do a moody. I wonder if up at the sewage works they've raked the screens and turned some outsized tap on?
I realised that I couldn't risk six-pound line once darkness fell; even modest barbel are capable of flattening the rod and snapping eight-pound stuff, and we usually use ten. Just because you've got ten-pound line on, you don't have to pull ten pounds, especially not with the tip high and vulnerable. Decision time - put the ten-pound on the Merlin and trust it to tell me when enough was enough (and trust myself to take heed), or pack it away and break out the spare rod, a beast of a Nottingham pattern by Devanney, tried and trusted with strong string and grumpy fish? What would Chris Yates do? What am I, a psychic?
Off came the Conquest, on went the Trudex, and the Devanney stayed in the bag. A bomb of about 1/4 oz, a leger stop, a quick-change bead, a size eight Dunlop on ten-pound stuff and a mussel on the hook.
The light began to go,and the barbel began to come to see the marvellous Merlin they'd been hearing about. A soon as they were hooked, they realised it would be too dark to give it the attention it deserved, and tried their best to revoke, but the Merlin magicked 'em with no hint of a worry. Barbel number three came at ten past eight, number nine at twenty past nine. The biggest was five pounds, weighed. All on mussel; they do love a sea-food supper.
Neither my companion or I could remember whether we had to be off the water by ten or half past, so we played it safe and guessed wrong.

Summing up, an excellent cane that lets neither reel no fish escape easily. A fine tip for ledgering or protecting quite light hooklengths, a subtly powerful middle taper, and a very powerful butt section. At around thirteen ounces, not really a trotting rod (for long) but brilliant for laying-on or legering, and well up to short spell of rod-in hand float-fishing. And utterly lovely to look at.

Colin, and "Fingers" Mal Baird, and Lady Luck, I can't thank you enough!

* Flanders and Swann, for those lucky enough to be too young to remember.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Re: Trying out the Grenfell Tower raffle Merlin

Post by Luga00 »

What a great report and a worthy way to christen the 'rod of rods'.

Well done, Mr Vole!
Russ

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

A splendid start Mr Vole, looking forward to more tales of Merlin magic!!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Dear Vole,

Splendid effort.

Note re Conquest: Fatty uses his for trotting, a lot, but took the three handles off as they merely gave the line more to hook up on. As for that line guard.....useless; so off it came too!

Now the best trotting 'pin in Mole ownership and believe ole Fatty when he says he's tried just about all of 'em.

Also because it looks really blingy in Shiny Silver, it seems to really annoy the hell out of the more serious types encountered on the bank.

As ever,........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

What a fantastic tribute to the charity and fine way to christen such a lovely outfit with some barbel.
Well done Vole :Hat:
May you enjoy many hours with the Merlin :Thumb:

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Rods a beauty and the barbel I've never caught a barbel but I'm trying :fishing1: I bet it was a lovely fighting curve on that rod that barbel never stood a chance on that barder rod well done :fish: mike

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Cheers, Chaps!
Moley, I went for the black version, but I admire your Awkward Squad tendencies. I wonder if one could get a slightly less than perfect (therefore just fine for laying-on and such) Trudex finished in banana yellow, or dayglow pastel violet? So one doesn't lose them, naturally. Stripes on the drums would be good, too, if you had a pair of them, so you could instantly see which one had the run that so rudely woke you.
I usually play it more subtly, mind; I have a ferruleless Spanish Reed twelve-footer that I adore if there's no chance of anything bigger than good roach appearing; I replaced the heavy,rusted Bells "Life" rings with modern single-leggers, and the transformation was wonderful - but has led to a few raised eyebrows!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

A lovely write up Vole, well done.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Enjoyed reading that Vole ... A pleasure indeed

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I am sure the previous owner of that rod will be really pleased when your write up is read, that rod has gone to a good home for sure. Lovely write up and pictures but I would have loved to have seen a Vole swimming mid stream passed that platform.

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”