A mic and a Barbus Maximus Mk 2.

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Plumtart
Ruffe

A mic and a Barbus Maximus Mk 2.

Post by Plumtart »

Does anyone have a Barbus Maximus version 2, and access to a micrometer or a good vernier? I'm trying to figure out how the BM varies from the many vintage rods that might fairly be described as 'barbel tapers'.

A taper spec would be interesting - say at 5" intervals.

W.
What Great Ones do, the Less will prattle on. Wm. Shakespeare. Twelfth Night.

Snape
Bailiff

Re: A mic and a Barbus Maximus Mk 2.

Post by Snape »

I have a BM MKI and MKII but no micrometer.
If I can get one via work and measure I'll let you know.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I wonder if Edward will approve?

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

I know what you mean Paul but I think once you release a rod "into the wild" it's out there for anyone to purchase and measure - including rival builders. Perhaps the publication of the taper on an open forum would be a slightly different matter out of courtesy to Edward. I think even armed with the taper though there are not many that could reproduce the rod with the same quality and attention to detail. The selection and quality of cane, strip preparation, choice of glue etc all make a difference to the finished article.

I must admit to also being interested in knowing how a modern barbel cane taper compares with rods of old.

Cheers
Steve

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

I don't want to copy it. I simply want to compare it with existing tapers on older rods. EB doesn't need to worry, because most of his buyers buy because they are loyal to his brand. A rod to do the job perfectly well can be had for £100. Those who order for nearly for two grand are seeking something more than an ability to do the job.

There's no secrecy once a rod is out there in the market.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Has anyone thought of simply asking Mr. Barder himself ?

edward@barder-rod.co.uk
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

Any luck locating a mic., or a vernier?

P.

James
Rudd

Post by James »

The problem you have how much varnish to subtract to get The taper. The tip may have less coats.who knows? Guess work 🤔 I wouldn't think Edward would want people copying his tapers . I wouldn't.

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

Mmmm! This isn't contentious or requiring of any dramatic concern for Edward. I don't think anyone might want to copy the tapers, and anyone who did would eventually find one to measure himself. They are around, and one or two turn up on the Kennet. But a Barder taper without a Barder finish is worth peanuts anyway. I simply wanted to know how it compares to existing rods. So if anyone is feeling precious about it - then don't worry - forget it.

Having said that - Edward copied the Kennet Perfection and the Wallis Avon quite happily, and if you think his were different in some magic way, they weren't a Kennet Perfections or Wallis Avons, no matter what the names on the rods said.

Wil.

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”