Edward Barder barbus maximus

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Edward Barder barbus maximus

Post by Wallys-Cast »

And there you have it Nobby, time or money the choice is yours. :roll:

I must admit mate those on your latest superb creation are real class ferrules. :Thumb:

Wal.

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

why don't cane rod builders use impregnated cane more,

ATB Macko

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well, as I understand it, the process was invented and patented by the owner of Sharpes of Aberdeen, sorry..I forget his name.

That company cased making rods and the Sharpes name was sold to a company in South Ruislip, Middlesex, though they are now in nearby Uxbridge and the company is up for sale again.

As well as Sharpes, in both forms, Chapmans of ware offer impregnated cane...perhaps they purchased a licence to do so?

I don't know the legal standing now...the patent might well have lapsed if other wanted to use the process.

As I understand it, Edward Barder...whom this thread is about...doesn't like it and won't consider it. I'm sure he has his reasons.

Interesting to consider, after Malcolm posted about cane swelling in humid weather...does impregnated cane do so too?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I have discussed impregnated cane with Edward in the past and I don't recall exactly why he doesn't like it but I think it has to do with extra weight and affecting the action.
I will be seeing him soon and if I remember I ask him again.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Nobby wrote:Well, as I understand it, the process was invented and patented by the owner of Sharpes of Aberdeen, sorry..I forget his name.
Nobby, I'm pretty sure that the process or formula that Sharpes used was originally patented by Orvis and licenced to Sharpes but other makers produced impregnated rods presumably using their own formulas.

Pete

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I read somewhere that impregnating cane gives it a dead feeling as well as increasing its weight and I have felt this dead or dull feeling in a Sharpes carp rod which I just couldn't get on with yet I now own a 10ft-9in 2 piece barbel rod originally built by Julian Caudle using Chapmans impregnated cane and it is a lovely springy rod, not dead at all so who knows, it may not be the impregnation process at all maybe just a dull feeling rod, you do get them.

Its interesting to note that resin impregnated timber has become a more popular thing recently. It is used mainly for standard timber replacement as in door and window frames in conservation areas where uPVC products are not allowed and kiln dried timber products have been shown to have such a short lifespan.

It may become popular again in cane rods as new resins and pressure delivery systems are discovered though I personally think the traditional varnish finish is much nicer.

Wal.

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

Hi Wal, I think the extra weight is negligible, and I wouldn't say that impregnated cane deadens
the feel, my Partridge of Redditch impregnated 11ft carp rod is just sublime and put a bend in it,
it comes back dead straight every time, noticed not so with normal cane which normally needs a waggle or two. My rod also has that springiness you mention, lovely feeling.

ATB Macko

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Macko wrote:Hi Wal, I think the extra weight is negligible, and I wouldn't say that impregnated cane deadens
the feel, my Partridge of Redditch impregnated 11ft carp rod is just sublime and put a bend in it,
it comes back dead straight every time, noticed not so with normal cane which normally needs a waggle or two. My rod also has that springiness you mention, lovely feeling.

ATB Macko

Yes, I am sure you are right Macko, the extra weight of the resin can't be that much more than a few good coats of varnish.

Wal.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Chris Ball's carp rod is impregnated cane...

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, it was made by Sharpes, Ruislip.

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”