Edward Barder barbus maximus

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Paul F
Sea Trout

Edward Barder barbus maximus

Post by Paul F »

I have an opportunity to buy a barbus maximus and at a good price...............but

I have viewed it personally and it looks unused, there is not a mark on the varnish
The stoppers are tight in the ferrels, and it goes together nicely, the cork is so clean, I cannot think it has ever seen the water!

The problem is a set in the tip between the 2nd and 3rd ring, it is not so much a set as more of a droop, which I suspect is through storage.

Is it worth a punt, and can I take this set out of the rod?

If I can take this out, will it reappear if I catch a barbus barbus on it?

pafpuff

St.John
Tench

Re: Edward Barder barbus maximus

Post by St.John »

gotta be worth a go if the money being asked is ok. sets are sets, and if it's through storage the chances are it is not too damaged.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I'd go for it. If the set is through storage it will come out and stay out. There's plenty of advice on here about removing sets.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

If the price is right a set can be sorted, but, in extreme cases the section may need to be stripped back to the cane to be done so get a price from Barder to repair the set and re build them and make your offer accordingly as a repair from anyone else will not het the same finish. I don't even try to get Barde's finish on my rebuilds as long as it's better than original factory finish but on a rod like that not having the correct quality of finish would devalue it :shocked:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There was just such a rod on eBay a few weeks ago....and that time we all agreed it wasn't worth the aggro.

If it can't be removed Mr. Barder wants an arm and a leg for a new tip...and I bet you'd wait a year or two for it as well.

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

If that is the only problem and the price is right I'd buy it, you won't notice the set when a Barbel puts a bend in the rod.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Nobby wrote:There was just such a rod on eBay a few weeks ago....and that time we all agreed it wasn't worth the aggro.

If it can't be removed Mr. Barder wants an arm and a leg for a new tip...and I bet you'd wait a year or two for it as well.
Hi Nobby, I saw the one on ebay, the set was dreadful and I would not have even considered that one if it was £300.

On this rod it is almost just a droop to the to 8" of the tip, I'm going to ring Mr Barder on Monday for his opinion

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, let's hope it's fixable.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

If it is just a droop and extends over the length of the tip rather than a short stressed part then Edward will easily rectify it with his large soft flamed Bunsen type burner.
Alternatively lots of other such as Andrew Davis will be able to sort it as well.
If it is a localised stress it may be too damaged and it could return once a big fish puts a decent bend in it and in that case Edward will want many £100s to make a new tip section.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I couldn't raise the funds for the rod this side of xmas :Cry:

It has now bee listed on ebay

As you can see from the photo's it has a set, but not much

Lets see what it does :Wink:

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”