Lee of Redditch rod

The Lee & Sons Rods forum.
PDuffield
Grayling

Lee of Redditch rod

Post by PDuffield »

I've just acquired another neglected rod, this one by Lee of Redditch. There are two labels on the rod, one of which is the standard early (I think) Lee label which is intact, the other which names the rod is almost gone. I've posted a picture of both labels, from which I can make out what looks like 'TH' in small letters above 'LEP' in larger letters, both in a yellow or light green oval.

The rod is in three sections - whole cane butt and middle, split cane top. The top looks like it might be short by a couple of inches, although I'm not sure. Assembled the rod is around 11ft.
label.jpg
I have a Lee Lepson which is an 8ft two piece all split cane spinning rod with the (I think newer) rectangular label wrapped around the rod, so unless Lee used the same name on completely different rods at different times, I wouldn't have expected this one to be named The Lepson.

Does anyone have any information that could shed some light on this rod?

You'll see from the other pictures that the rod needs a lot of TLC to get it back into service, but apart from a bit of a sag in the middle and top joints that I'll deal with by whipping the rings on the opposite side, and some loose fitting ferrules that may need replacing but will definitely need re-seating, there doesn't seem to be any damage, so I think it will make a nice light roach rod after its been restored.

I may decide to do some re-modelling though, as the handle is the shortest I've seen on a rod of this type at less than 15 inches and throws the balance way off. If it was an unlabelled rod I'd just extend the handle further up the butt, but as the makers label is in such good condition I may extend the handle the other way, and shorten the butt section at the ferrule end before re-fitting the ferrule. I'd never do that with a 'classic' rod, but I'm not averse to doing some drastic surgery on rescued rods like this one that I've picked up for £20 or so including postage.

Any information will be much appreciated. If anyone is interested I'll post some pictures of the rod after restoration.

Paul
rod.jpg
rod2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGs
Pike

Re: Lee of Redditch rod

Post by MGs »

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... dditch.asp

There is an 11' rod listed on in the net called the Hampshire if that helps. Although that seems to have a split cane rather than whole cane middle joint. Looks like you have a bargain. With a bit of work should make a nice addition.

Also found a 12' called The Newlee
http://www.vintagefishingtackle.com/rods.htm Item R-2265

I'm sure someone will be along with a better answer soon.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

Thanks MGs, the name definitely starts with LE and I think the next letter is a P, but I suppose it could be an R. If it had turned out to be a Hampshire when it arrived I think I'd still be celebrating my luck!

Still a bargain though, as you say, whatever it is. I've started to remove the old varnish and the cane underneath looks to be in really good condition so I think its going to turn out pretty well.

Paul

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

pduffield wrote: If it had turned out to be a Hampshire when it arrived I think I'd still be celebrating my luck!

And rightly so, Paul. I certainly was when I got mine a few years ago. The one I bought seemed to go unoticed and when it turned up I was delighted, even though it needed a full restoration. They are, acording to that inthenetuk page, a whole cane Avocet, in all but name. Whatever it is it's a delightful little rod. Lovely thick handle, good quality fittings and a nice action, if slightly tippy. One thing I'm not so sure I agree with in that inthenet discription is that it makes a great barbel rod. Far to soft in my opinion, especially if you hooked into one of the big old girls on my stretch.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Just a reminder that inthenetuk is just an image repository. The accompanying texts came with the images and are not neccasarily accurate. Many of them are from eBay sales which might be thought to be ....well, you get the picture.

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

I've finished the restoration so here are some pictures of the finished rod. Both of the ferrules needed replacing and in the process I lost a little of the length as the cane beneath the females was damaged. I've also extended the handle by 4 inches to improve the balance, taking an equivalent length from the ferrule end of the butt section to keep the sections of equal length, so its ended up about 10ft 6in.

You'll see that the handle is whipped like some Lucky Strikes - this is how it was made, and its the first time I've seen this on a rod that wasn't made by Allcocks.

I've left the transfer as it was. I would have liked to touch up the transfer as the oval labels on Lee rods are just black print on a light green background so would be easy to reproduce, but I wasn't able to find out what the rod is called even though I spent a lot of time on the internet searching through blogs, forums and auction sites. Its frustrating that so little information is available about rods from makers other than Hardy, Allcocks, Milwards and B James, I even trawled through some old magazines I have from the early 50's on, but although I came across some Lee adverts, they were all generic and didn't mention rods or other tackle by name.

I'm hoping to give the rod an outing soon after some dace and roach. It feels like it will be a good small river trotting rod, and having whole cane butt and middle sections its lighter than my Lucky Strike and easily light enough to hold all day.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Nice job. Looks like a lovely rod, enjoy catching with it :thumb:
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Very nice Paul :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

Thanks guys. I think I get as much pleasure from restoring a rod as fishing with it.

Kenkroy

Post by Kenkroy »

Very nice Paul.Like the handle interface.Well done mate.
ken

Return to “Lee & Sons Cane Rods”