"The Rushden"

The F. T. Williams Rods forum.
Aquaerial
Chub

Re: "The Rushden"

Post by Aquaerial »

Rushden or Rushton?..just finished tidying up this 14ft FTW ready for the Waveney in the next two months. Note the bag has the Hersham address so presumably this was made when part of Pegley Davies? Originally a London maker they seemed to have moved about a bit but I've little history...Queen street, London- Walton-on-Thames-Hersham all have been referenced when researching. The bag and rod may have been united separately of course.
FTW Rushton (Small).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

We have a member, long quiet sadly, who worked at the trading estate in Hersham for Pegley-Davies. He told us the firms were merged and trading together and indeed I have some paperwork bits and bobs which mention products from both firms suggesting they had deliberately set out not to be in competition with one another.

Hersham is next door to Walton-on-Thames and I suspect the latter name was simply chosen for its 'watery' name.

Pegley Davies stuff is a bit collectable for some reason and it's hard to acquire catalogues and the like to research them, but I've recently won two on eBay so I might be able to pick out a bit more information given time.

The name is close to my heart, not only as a Surrey lad myself, but because I have a pathological problem remembering how to tie knots and have always had one of their 'knot cards' in my tackle box for almost 50 years now.........blush. :Hahaha:

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

I think I remember seeing a thread from him Nobby and also a thread with a turquoise Craftsman badged Rushton...struggling to find it now. The rods are growing on me..this one is a great big river trotter/match rod and the built cane looks of very good quality. I have some more 'sleepers' in the back of my 'woodshed' and will try and find them as they deserve more recognition really..as do PDQ of course...and you are right they were prolific and ubiquitous in my youth but one rarely sees anything of theirs nowadays ..interesting :readnews:
Aquaerial

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Aquaerial wrote:I think I remember seeing a thread from him Nobby and also a thread with a turquoise Craftsman badged Rushton...struggling to find it now. The rods are growing on me..this one is a great big river trotter/match rod and the built cane looks of very good quality. I have some more 'sleepers' in the back of my 'woodshed' and will try and find them as they deserve more recognition really..as do PDQ of course...and you are right they were prolific and ubiquitous in my youth but one rarely sees anything of theirs nowadays ..interesting :readnews:
Aquaerial,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The turquoise Craftsman badged Rushton is pictured on page one of this thread

Also plenty of PDQ Hook to nylon packets about

Last edited by Ljm183 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Whoops sorry..under my feet. :Thumb:

Actually..this is another one. I remember a red banner style Rushton badge over the trade badge or am I losing the plot?
Aquaerial

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Aquaerial wrote:Whoops sorry..under my feet. :Thumb:

Actually..this is another one. I remember a red banner style Rushton badge over the trade badge or am I losing the plot?
Same rod as the one on page one.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Aaahh..I see now it was the name that threw me. Thank you,
Aquaerial

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Just acquired one of these from a well known internet site for £25.Marked "The Rushton, An FT Williams Craftsman Rod Made in England" with F T Williams & Co London on the butt ferrule.I had a Rushton before with a the later transfer and used it a few times but it did not really appeal to me so I sold it.This is an altogether different rod and reminds me of a Swimversa but without the reverse taper in the butt.It does not look like it's had much use but I will have to re set the ferrules and tidy up the whippings.It has its original stoppers and a bag in very good condition.I have taken off and cleaned the butt ring which appears to be white agate In a nickel silver ring.A good buy.Do I need anymore cane rods? No!Image
Mark Davies

Return to “F. T. Williams Cane Rods”