Dorset length help

The F. T. Williams Rods forum.
Paul D

Dorset length help

Post by Paul D »

Gents, Been in conversation with another member recently with a view to getting a new tip made for my Dorset, sitting here this afternoon looking at it it's occurred to me if I get a new tip made to the length of the other two sections it'll end up 12' 2" long? It's currently exactly 11'6" . Should the sections be the same length? Seems a odd length for what is quite a beefy rod even at it's present size.

Albert47
Dace

Re: Dorset length help

Post by Albert47 »

I have a Dorset, (Pegley-Davies)and it is 12ft 2in long. All the sections are the same length.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

My Dorset is an FT Williams and the butt and middle are both 4'1" and the tip is 4'. Not sure if the tip is missing an inch or the new tip ring has just been whipped badly.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Hi Paul D, I forgot that I had a F.T. Williams Dorset until I read your post. Hunted it out, it is un restored and all lengths are equal being 48 7/8" long. On the top section I measured from the extreme tip of the eye to the end of the ferrule. In other words when you lay them down each section to the extreme ends are the same.

Edit.. Just put rod together fully and it measures 145" or 12 foot 1 inch. :Hat:
Last edited by Reedling on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

So mine must have lost an inch from the tip. Oh well, I only paid peanuts for it!

Hemingway

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Many many thanks chaps, rather a odd length but if that's what's is supposed to be so be it. :Hat:

Tweed

Post by Tweed »

Santiago wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:24 pm So mine must have lost an inch from the tip. Oh well, I only paid peanuts for it!
Just as well - presumably it had been "restored"?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

No, it's in original condition apart from the eye at the tip has been re-whipped. Original condition means rusty rings that all need to be replaced, in other words, it needs a restoration job which I have been putting off since I bought it at least a year ago. Still, at 12'1" it will make a very good float rod!

Hemingway

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Santiago wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:25 pm No, it's in original condition apart from the eye at the tip has been re-whipped. Original condition means rusty rings that all need to be replaced, in other words, it needs a restoration job which I have been putting off since I bought it at least a year ago. Still, at 12'1" it will make a very good float rod!
Waggling mine today I'm not sure you would want to trot with it for long, quite a heavy old thing and thickly built to boot, mine will be used for barbel etc. :Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

When I finally restore it I will also use it for barbel! On a big rod rest! With or without a float. Certainly too heavy for trotting.

Hemingway

Return to “F. T. Williams Cane Rods”