Dorset length help

The F. T. Williams Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Dorset length help

Post by AshbyCut »

The 'Dorset' I did some work on over 3 years ago now (where does time go ???) was 12ft. 1in., though I always referred to it as a 12ft. version. It was unusual as it came with a short tip which made it a 10ft. ledger rod. It had belonged to an angler who had passed away, whose niece told me that her Uncle had used it for barbel fishing.

See this thread :- viewtopic.php?f=197&t=9439&hilit=Dorset

(ps ... There's an 11ft. version too.)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

One of the nicest rods I ever had was an Aspindale Suredale that should have been 12 foot and wasn't...it had lost 9 inches from the tip but felt so much lighter than the rod of the correct length that I also had.

At 11'3" it felt just right.....perhaps no coincidence that that's the exact length of a B.James Avocet

Now I made the tip section thin again by re-planing the top eighteen inches but you could do it properly if you wanted with a new tip...it all depends on whether you want to be original or really want a 12 foot rod in cane.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

AshbyCut wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:25 pm

(ps ... There's an 11ft. version too.)
There,s a 10ft 6in version as well. Early model with all script writing.. sections 43in/43in/42in

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

I am not sure where to post this as I was looking to find a bit about an FTW Dorset rod that I picked up at a boot sale last week. It appears to be a 10ft 6inch version with the name written as a script. I will try and post some pictures later if any one is interested. It requires a refurb as the tip ring is broken and the rings are lightly rusted. I also noticed a binding on the bottom of the top joint. It looks like a delamination rather than a break
Dave@ Hastings

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I have just unpacked my FT Williams 'Dorset de luxe' and first thing I did after seeing this thread last night, was measure the rod. Each section is 49 inches, so I'm guessing it's probably about 12ft 1 inch. I don't think I have a tape long enough to measure the rod as a whole.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

It's a heavy, unbalanced rod at 12 ft.
Do you really need it to be 12 ft long?
Shortening it to11 ft with an extended handle totally transforms it. A super barbel rod and underrated in my humble opinion.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “F. T. Williams Cane Rods”