FTW on ebay

The F. T. Williams Rods forum.
LuckyLuca
Barbel

FTW on ebay

Post by LuckyLuca »

Spotted this but something just didn't seem right. Not sure if it's the long handle or the fractionally shorter looking tip?
What do you guys think, because the price looks low
eBay No Item # 221123250532
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Davyr

Re: FTW on ebay

Post by Davyr »

It's "that seller" again! See previous threads re: "Southwell" rods on eBay. :roll:

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I'm not in anyway an expert like some of you and at first look to a cane novice like me it looks ok.

but, isn't the whipping a bit long on the tip ring?

I do like ijm's one though very nice.

Gaz

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I've never seen this rod before but that’s not to say it isn’t "real" but it is a little suspect. :think:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've never personally heard of the rod, nor does the writing look particularly original. Williams', along with their trading partners, Pegley Davies' catalogues are pretty rare, though.

There were some on eBay lately but the starting price was too steep for me.

I've never seen such a rod with two but rings either, except those modified by owners for centrepin use and very recent fly rods. If it's a genuine rod, restored faithfully 'as original', it's certainly a rare one. The auction makes no such claim though.....

Perhaps the restorer would like to come on the forum and tell us about the rod.......?

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Someone may have put the rear butt ring on to stop the rod sliding forward in the rests, or, indeed, for centre-pin stalking
Low price may be due to it being files under "reels" - I certainly missed it.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

The more I look the stranger it looks. Appears freshly restored, surely two but rings can't be original? Enormous handle, odd/heavy tip whipping? Shame I thought I may have been on to a bargain!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

BarbelBonce

Post by BarbelBonce »

I would like to see if there is a joint under the corks.... to bring a butt joint up to about 5'. And I do not recognise that style of gold transfer - the diagonal "strip" style. I thought that FTW trfrs were oval/round, in the style of the label on the rod bag pictured. There again, memories play tricks.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Luckyluca wrote:surely two but rings can't be original?
Unusual, but not unique. For example Chapmans use two butt rings as standard on their 10ft 'The Peter Stone Ledgerstrike', (see below) and I'm using the spacings scaled down on my 9ft 'Milwards Spincraft Major'.

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=431

As for the Forecarp, all I can find is ... apparently one sold at a Cheffins (Cambridge) auction in 2006 with an estimate of £40 to £60, hammer price was £40. It was described as "F T Williams - 'The Forecarp' two piece split cane carp rod, 2pce, 9ft 6'' ... but the only picture just shows the F T Williams transfer and the hand written name 'Forecarp'.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

barbelbonce wrote:And I do not recognise that style of gold transfer - the diagonal "strip" style. I thought that FTW trfrs were oval/round.
All I can say is that the transfer on the one I found on the net at Cheffins auction in 2006 has the same diagonal F T Williams transfer ... I'll try to get the pic and add it if I can.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “F. T. Williams Cane Rods”