The Rivercraft: can it be restored?

The F. T. Williams Rods forum.
Santiago
Wild Carp

The Rivercraft: can it be restored?

Post by Santiago »

The Rivercraft I bought off ebay for scrap has just arrived. It's a FT Williams light spinning rod but I'm not too sure how long it was; possibly 7'6" or 8'. The only good thing is the handle. The cane on the butt has a long set in it, and the tip section needs replacing. Does anyone think it's worth restoring??

I have a very similar tip section from a fly rod that I can use, so apart from no rings (which I can easily buy) the hardest thing I need to do is remove the set! Does anyone know how I can do this?? pic to come
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: The Rivercraft: can it be restored?

Post by Santiago »

I found a long split in the butt section so along with the long set and rubbish tip section I have decided to restore it as a spinning rod using the handle and the middle and top sections of a fly rod of approx. the same lenght and taper. The ferrules are all about the same size as well. The main difference will be the new tip section is a tad thinner at the tip. When I'm long gone no doubt this hybrid rod will turn up on ebay and folk will think there is something quite fishy about it, for it will still have FT Williams engraved on the butt cap. Ah hummm!!

Hemingway

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

BigFish wrote:this hybrid rod will turn up on ebay and folk will think there is something quite fishy about it, for it will still have FT Williams engraved on the butt cap. Ah hummm!!
Not if you create a "The 'Bigfish' Special" transfer and varnish it in above the Williams one. :)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great idea Ashby! It was called The Rivercraft, so out of respect for the handle and because it's one of my favourite songs of Nick Drakes, and I live on a river, I'll call it 'The Riverman' by Bigfish!! How's that??

Hemingway

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Top class, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Disaster Sir. The top of the handle broke whilst I tried to drill a hole in it! Have decided it was a bad idea; really the cork handle needs to be built up around the blank or you end up with a very weak butt.

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Just found the cane at the bottom of the handle was rotten as if the butt had been standing in water sometime in its life. So apart from the metal bits the rod is no more, and certainly beyond anyones help!

Hemingway

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Save the idea for the next one, Sir.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Ok I have to ask, why where you drilling a hole in the handle :Confused:
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Do'nt ask!!! Possibly the most stupid thing I've done in a long time. Only after it failed did I realise it would never have worked!!!

Hemingway

Return to “F. T. Williams Cane Rods”