Rod Ring Spacing

This forum is for recording rod taper specifications.
Rod
Grayling

Re: Rod Ring Spacing

Post by Rod »

Right gents, with what everyone seems to say, High it is. Thanks for the input, as this will be the very first rod I've ever built, I thought it better to think it through and get all the questions answered first. I have built myself a wrapping stand, ( :secret: ) by copying pics of the internet, so I am just about ready to start, if it comes out ok, I will let you see it, maybe :Tongue:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Nol78

Post by Nol78 »

Goodluck and hope it turns out ok. :cheers:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Dawsons Of Bromley Falcon added to the first post.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

I quite forgot about this posting, since I last wrote on here I have actually built myself three, that's right three rods, an 11 foot Avon, with detachable butt, a 10 foot carp and a 9 foot ledger rod, all hollow glass, bought from Oliver's of Knebworth. I am hoping my new found skills will give me the confidence to restore a cane rod. I bought a dirt cheap three piece split cane rod, but the two lower sections both have sets in them, so I will have to get up the courage to put them over a flame to try and straighten them out. It is either that or offer it on here for some one to renovate for a child's rod, which is what I may do. I have also been writing up a document showing how I built my rod wrapper/lathe/dryer, and was thinking of posting it on here with pictures, as it was made using just basic hand tools and timber bought from B&Q, along with other odds and ends laying around in the garage.

I must admit being retired and with plenty of time on my hands has help no end :Hahaha:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

If you can build a 'glass rod to that standard you can certainly restore a cane rod!

I'd say the toughest thing when doing up a cane rod is ferrules. Cutting an old one off isn't hard ( ALWAYS look for pins!!) but setting the new one up square can prove awkward sometimes and lapping them in to a snug fit can be a challenge. Like anything, patience and double checking everything seems to be the key.

Heating a bit of cane to straighten it isn't half as daunting as it sounds......practice on a bbq skewer for a bit...put a bend in it, cool it and take the bend out again..great for the confidence. I just use a night light candle...hot enough for all bar a butt section, though it's probably do that if you were patient.

You may have noticed your 'glass blanks had a bit of a curve to them......always happier with one spot uppermost?...cane is the same, though more so and often a tip section particularly looks better if it is 'turned', that is to say turned upside down and the rings whipped on to what had previously been the top flat of the built cane.

Retirement is great, isn't it?...though I seem to be busier now that when I was working.......... :roll:

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Thanks for the encouragement Nobby, I think I will give it a go. As for the retirement comment I have never had so much fun when I realised I could make a passable attempt at rod building, I will be getting rid of all my so called modern rods now, as I have it in mind to build a MK4 Avon type next, with intermediate whipping, as each one I have done the tipping have got thinner and thinner, so I decided to make some floats with whipping on, just as practice, using very fine silk, and that has helped no end. Mind you, the amount of advice and help I got on here and from Ted and Ernestine at Oliver's made my job so much easier, will let you know how I manage getting the sets out. :Hat:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Milward,s Matchmaster 10 1/2ft added to the first post.

JAA

Post by JAA »

Nobby wrote:If you can build a 'glass rod to that standard you can certainly restore a cane rod!

I'd say the toughest thing when doing up a cane rod is ferrules. Cutting an old one off isn't hard ( ALWAYS look for pins!!) but setting the new one up square can prove awkward sometimes and lapping them in to a snug fit can be a challenge. Like anything, patience and double checking everything seems to be the key.
Lapping cane for a ferrule is tricky, but I've just done a couple with 30mm plastic pipe, cut in half length-ways, as a 'sanding block'. The key is to turn the rod with one hand at a constant rate and keep the draw rate or the other (sanding) hand about the same. Over one or two revolutions of the rod, check the new ferrule for fit. I was surprised how well it worked - although I had a practice first with a spare bit of cane to hone my technique.

I used a medium grit until the ferrule was only just 'not fitting' then switched to a fine grit. The below, once done, was offered to the other-half, which was seated on the original 'built-up' turned down' ferrule mounted on the next section and was FAPP, spot on.

You can see the ferrule outer is about the same 'diameter' of the cane, so I had to round it off to a near dowel cross section.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

JAA, that idea of your for using half pipe for sanding blocks is brilliant, you could also using the correct diameter pipe use this idea for the straight part of cork handles, if you don't have access to a lathe, and have to do them by hand, will give this a try, but cant see any problems, even for an old codger like me :Chuckle:

JAA

Post by JAA »

Rod wrote:JAA, that idea of your for using half pipe for sanding blocks is brilliant, you could also using the correct diameter pipe use this idea for the straight part of cork handles, if you don't have access to a lathe, and have to do them by hand, will give this a try, but cant see any problems, even for an old codger like me :Chuckle:
Not my original idea, it was passed onto me by 'Gloucester Old Spot' and was originally suggested to me for cork handle work - which it is also very good for. :Hat:

Return to “Rod Taper Archive”