Sharpes eighty eight

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
BarbusBarbus
Stickleback

Sharpes eighty eight

Post by BarbusBarbus »

Hi Chaps

I own an eighty eight but unfortunately the last 4 inches of the tip has snapped off.

I had it stored in the wardrobe and the shelf above came crashing down because my wife has to many shoes, handbags and other women's paraphenralia sorted there and at my time of life I cannot afford to lose four inches!

Anyway I have decided to use it as an eight foot five as I think the butt sections are the same length for the 8' 3", the 8' 5" and the 8' 8", it is only the tip sections that vary and I think the tapers are the same as well.

The reason for my reasoning is that I also own a 9' 6"" Sharpes Scottie as well and the butt section on that is only a couple of inches longer than the eighty eight.

What I need to know is anyone out there who has an 8' 5"" could you tell me the butt length and also can you measure the ring spacing so on the tip section as I will need to re whip all the rings due to the reduced length.

Sorry about the ramble but I am saddened to lose this rod as it is in good condition.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul D

Re: Sharpes eighty eight

Post by Paul D »

Surely worth getting it repaired? :Hat:

BarbusBarbus
Stickleback

Post by BarbusBarbus »

Hi Paul

That's what I want to do but because the tip has been shortened the ring next to the tip ring will be to close so I want to have all the rings on the tip re whipped to the specifications on the 8' 5" rod.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

The tapers for the 85 and the 83 are diffrent to 88 the only thing they have in common is the tapers are based around the design of the Ritz fario
That's as far as it goes rewhipping the guides and cutting the butt section won't make it into a Sharpes 85.

BarbusBarbus
Stickleback

Post by BarbusBarbus »

Thanks for all the info. I will look at getting the rod repaired if possible.

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”