A sneaky bid, don't tell the wife!!

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Re: A sneaky bid, don't tell the wife!!

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Alarm bells are ringing... The husband of one of my work colleagues recently bought himself some very expensive binoculars when she was not around.She also took it surprisingly well,but they did then also cost him two pairs of Chanel sunglasses she had her eye on ..
I too was tempted by the rod but already have something similar.I hope it brings you years of piscatorial pleasure.Its just possible it might turn into being your lucky rod if it HAS already worked on your wife though
Last edited by SkimmingTheCream on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I saw the rod you'd link to was the rod I've bought but at £10 less than it is in the listing. Small world eh!?

I read your post that you've linked last night, they are decent rods indeed. I'm going to refresh my memory and read your post again, thanks Hovis for the info. :Thumb:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

SkimmingTheCream wrote:Alarm bells are ringing... The husband of one of my work colleagues recently bought himself some very expensive binoculars when she was not around.She also took it surprisingly well,but they did then also cost him two pairs of Chanel sunglasses she had her eye on ..
I too was tempted by the rod but already have something similar.I hope it brings you years of piscatorial pleasure.Its just possible it might turn into being your lucky rod if it HAS already worked on your wife though
I hope it does STC, I'm still chasing my first 20lb carp and with Dad now with me in tow it makes it a bit harder. I've watched this season, a large carp, always in the corner of the pool by some reeds, it's very often there....I hooked it on my last visit but as there are some lilly pads near I had to put on the pressure and snap goes the line.

I can hopefully step up my line a bit without fear of snapping the rod and hopefully if the rod does prove to be lucky I'll have my long awaited prize.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

That rod will easily cope with 12 or 15lb line Matt, that twenty pounder is destined to succumb :Thumb:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Kingfisher wrote:I thought there must be some reason why they weren't varnished all over in the first place. Just varnishing the whippings must have been to make them lighter or detract from waterside glare. ....something along those lines as a spinning rod is waved about a fair bit. Over the years I've fished a small river though, I've had no problems with glare, if you remain hidden well enough which you should be then the fish don't see the rod or the glare.
Hi K,
The impregnated cane has a waxy finish so varnish wont stick to it for long, thats why the varnished area where the logo is nearly always flakes off taking half the logo with it. I did varnish one a few years ago and it started lifting off in strips after a few months so I stripped it all off again.
You can give it a wax over and polish it up to a nice sheen but it wont last long.

When Shakespeare took over Allcocks, Lee etc they sold some impregnated fly rods called "Fish Hawk" these had a painted finish which was a kind of olive/gold colour, this stayed on the rod for a while so it must have been specially formulated to adhere to the impregnated finish. There may now be a modern varnish that will stick.

Wal.

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”