Chris Ball Alrounder

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Enchanted Dusk

Chris Ball Alrounder

Post by Enchanted Dusk »

Just purchased a Chris Ball Allrounder and tested it Barbel fishing on the old Trent at Newark, what a great rod for this river! The Barbel do tend to head for the sea and linked with the strong current can really put a cane rod under pressure. I find my early Mk 1v's are too soft for some swims so when I came across the Allrounder I thought it may just fit the job and I have to say I am really impressed!

I matched it wit a centre pin to begin with, however after feeling the line was borderline too light based on the first few fish, I swapped to an Abu Cardinal 66. Had six barbel all between 7and 9lb and the combination was a real joy.

I don't see many all rounders so really happy I came across it. Does anyone know if many were made?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: chris Ball Alrounder

Post by Mark »

There is a bit more info about the rod in this thread ED.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2269
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Chris Ball Alrounder

Post by Nobby »

Since that post I discovered that they were still trading, but have since moved on twice more !

If they are still trading there is now no mention of rod making and they are now in Cowley Peachey, between Uxbridge and West Drayton.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Lucky chap where did you find it?

I've been looking for one for a couple of years. One sold on ebay for not a lot about two years ago and I missed out by a few quid and one sold for rather more money on ebay a few months ago.

I don't know how many were made but like you recently I've found my standard MkIVs pushed to the limit and would like a bit more backbone whilst still enabling me to float fish.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Enchanted Dusk

Post by Enchanted Dusk »

I'd been looking for a while but never seen one until the one on eBay I think you might have seen for a very high buy it now price. I talked to the seller and agreed a price and drove hours to pick it up as he would not ship.

When I got there it was brand new with the plastic on the handle etc, made in 1994, but he had not mentioned it had his name on it! Now not sure about you but using a rod with someone else's name on kinda feels different, as if it's not really yours, so I was fuming having driven for hours and was just about to head off when he offered me a greatly reduced price and also his unfished sharpes Fred crouch barbel rod he was also selling for a really good price also.

It's amazing how easily ones feelings can change when offered a good deal so I had both rods for less than I would have paid for the Allrounder without a name!

Having used the rod the name underneath pales and I'm just loving the rod. I have a bishop on the way so will be interesting to see how it compares in taming the anabolic Trent barbel!

ED, thanks for the additional info also.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'm even more jealous now! I look forward and am really interested to hearing how it compares to the Bishop – you're a very lucky chap!
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Enchanted Dusk

Post by Enchanted Dusk »

I'll let you know how they compare, I'm hopefully receiving it this Autumn, looking forward to it :Wink:

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Nobby wrote:Since that post I discovered that they were still trading, but have since moved on twice more !

If they are still trading there is now no mention of rod making and they are now in Cowley Peachey, between Uxbridge and West Drayton.
Nobby , I live very close to Cowley Peachey and have done so for 60+ years .. As far as I'm aware there are no rod manufacturers there .

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

I've held and waggled the Allrounder in Judd's shop when they were in Ruislip and deliberated
for nearly an hour whether to buy it or not. In the end I decided against it, just seemed a bit
floppy for me. Went back a week later just to make sure I did the right thing and it had gone.
Then by chance an 11ft Partridge of Redditch Impregnated rod was on EBay and I figured they
would be virtually the same rod, so I bid on it and won it. New and unused, but to my surprise
I felt it had a much nicer, tighter action. Would be nice to compare the two one day.

ATB Macko

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

CWK, they are on the trading estate where Autodeck car repairs are, in Iver Lane, near the Canal bridge, BTW, if you ever have to use Autodeck make sure you completely empty your car before taking it in.

ATB Macko
Last edited by Macko on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”