J.S.Sharpe Carp

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: J.S.Sharpe Carp

Post by Bob Brookes »

Just a follow up on my Carp rod, confirming what we have already deduced. There is one on eBay in really nice original condition that also has an unlined butt ring. Strangely it doesn't have have copper wire whipping on the butt ring, but who could say that was not as original too.
In years gone by I would have been sorely tempted to acquire it to make a matched pair, but not now! It is already at a price well exceeding what I paid for mine. With 2 evenings to go so I am keen to see what it fetches. If anyone on here is at all tempted, then take it from me, the Sharpe's Carp is a fine rod having already 'blooded' mine.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Having given up on ever finding one at a good price, Mushy and I have re-handled a Sharpes spinning rod.......it don't half take a bend!

Where the new shorter cork handle now ends the cane is 13mm flat to flat, but the through action of this 9'6" rod is more akin to a Mark IV Avon I think.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I refuse to look at it as I am only flesh and blood and prone to weakness.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Dave Burr wrote:I refuse to look at it as I am only flesh and blood and prone to weakness.
£350 with 1 day 9 hours to go.
Fill your boots Dave!
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I hope it tops £400 :-)

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

If I was paying that sort of money for one I'd want it to be perfect and that for me would have to include a lined butt and tip ring. It's hard to tell but I don't think the rod has the Carp decal applied. I'm sure it's a trick of the light but I did wonder if the silk on the butt section was lighter or brighter than that of the tip. Those points plus the lack of the copper whipping makes me think it may have been restored. There's enough of a doubt in my mind for it not to be worth anything like the price it's already at.

Having had a another look something else strikes me as odd – the intermediate rings aren't of the pattern usually fitted to these rods. They look like standard low-bells, Sharps had their own particular pattern with straight legs not curved legs. If this is in genuine original condition I'd say it's very late production or a late special order. That isn't to say it's not a lovely rod – it clearly is but I'm not convinced of its originality at all - too many anomalies. On all the vintage Sharpes rods I've seen the whippings are very dark and it's hard to make out the threads as they sealed them to the point of hiding the thread texture.
Last edited by Beresford on Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Bob, just found a photo of one of my Sharpes "The Carp" from a few years ago. You will notice it too has the unlined butt ring.

Wal.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The unlined butt ring seems to feature on later rods – that isn't what I'm questioning, everything else is though.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

I think you're correct Beresford, the seller has added a picture of the "CARP" hand written and not a decal so probably has been refurbished.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Each time I see one of these rods it has a discrepancy. The only two rods I've seen that are alike are mine! I'm beginning to think that there was no 'standard' rod. They can't all be refurbished. Surely the answer is that the fittings varied or evolved and that most were built to a customers specifications.

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”