is this a Scottie?

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Dell Boy

is this a Scottie?

Post by Dell Boy »

13' 2 piece salmon rod with the traditional red whipping,but no transfer and no sign of any restoration work. It was my fathers who was a keeper on the Itchen back in the late 60's early 70's. when he would have acquired it.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: is this a Scottie?

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Chris, I think Scotty is just the trade mark for Sharpes of Aberdeen so yes it is a Scotty.
It looks to be an impregnated version and this makes varnishing the rod unnecessary and in fact varnish wont stick very well to its wax like surface making it peel off easily which is why the area around the makers labels is usually a bit scruffy looking or even devoid of any makers marks.
13ft is a long blank for a two piece cane rod, I bet is has some power.

Wal.

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Didn't Sharpes some stage put a logo of a black scottie dog on some of their rods?

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

This thread may be of some interest to you Dell Boy.

viewtopic.php?t=3663

It looks like a scottie to me but mine is a spinning rod which sharpes used to use the metal reel seats on.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I believe that Sharpes of Aberdeen both used a black Scots terrier as a trade mark badge and did produce just one rod that was called The Scottie, but that ALL their rods were therefore Scottie Brand.

I've just found this site...sadly the link to Next Page fails:

http://www.feathersfliesandphantoms.co. ... pe_32.html

Nice picture of ....well, maybe the hat and tie means that's Mr.Sharpe himself? He's standing by a short bed capstan, a lathe with a multi point tool holder where the tailstock normally might be on a lathe. My first job on leaving school was to work with one making door closing cylinders. You can see the brass plumbing to deliver the 'soluble' to the workpoint by the chuck in the picture. Soluble is a blueish-yellow oil that mixes with water to form a white cutting fluid that stops the tool and work over-heating and lubricates it as well. Mr.Sharpe, if it is he, seems to be inspecting an annular ring reel body of quite fine dimensions.

Nice site that by Colin Innes :Hat:

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”