J S Sharpe 9ft. 3ins.

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Floater
Stickleback

J S Sharpe 9ft. 3ins.

Post by Floater »

Hello Everyone
I told my boys that they have bought me for Christmas / my 60th Birthday the above beautiful cane rod ! .
I've been trawling the forum for information about my new rod , and I would be delighted if forum members could confirm my thoughts please .

I think my rod was made in 1963 , November , the 2nd rod ?
There is a little red dot with the number 4 underneath both rod sections , which means the rod is original and hasn't been " turned " to straighten it ? .
The sliding reel fittings I recognise , but what is the purpose of the black piece of metal the reel fittings are sitting on ? , it makes it rather tight when I'm fitting my reel ( and I think it's removing some paint ) .
Lastly I've never seen a tip ring like the one on this rod , I take it that it's not bent , and it's supposed to point down ? .

I've attached some 'photos .

Many thanks
:)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: J S Sharpe 9ft. 3ins.

Post by Olly »

The black part on the handle seats the reel in the gap cut with the intention of not allowing it to twist around the rod - so tight it should be!

The end eye is correct - but I forget who it is named after!

A nice rod - used by others on here for barbel and carp.

Floater
Stickleback

Post by Floater »

Thanks Olly
:Sun:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Nice rod. The tip ring style is called Tulip
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The red dots are witness marks. Your rod has two less common features – the sliding reel seat (usually they have a fixed reel seat) and it doesn't have the usual pattern of ferrules they used, that feature a knurled portion. Does it have the J. S Sharpes, Scottie and Impregnated decals in place?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

One of my Sharpes spinning rods has a sliding reel seat like yours. I believe it was an option, as were the lines guides of alternative types. Could be due to customer preference or availability of supplies.

"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

The one thing you will discover as a Sharpes owner is that the rods all have their own character, it's tricky to find two the same :-)

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

A fabulous rod! Mine has a fixed reel seat and knurled ferrules otherwise very similar to yours. I have caught barbel on mine but not yet a decent carp nor a pike.....maybe in the new year??
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

You'll love the Sharpe's... lovely rods... they are a firm favourite of mine... I landed my first Cane Caught 20' on one a few weeks ago... Welcome to the forum by the way :Hat: :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Floater
Stickleback

Post by Floater »

Beresford wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:10 pm The red dots are witness marks. Your rod has two less common features – the sliding reel seat (usually they have a fixed reel seat) and it doesn't have the usual pattern of ferrules they used, that feature a knurled portion. Does it have the J. S Sharpes, Scottie and Impregnated decals in place?
Hi Beresford

I have taken some more 'photos .

:) ImageImageImageImage

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”