Dating J.S Sharpe Scottie Rods

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Dating J.S Sharpe Scottie Rods

Post by TemeLAD »

Can anyone help in deciphering the numbers that appear on the butt end of J.S.Sharpe Rods. Typically two sets of double numbers that appear above the J.S Sharpes Ltd, Aberdeen. If it makes it easier to explain there is a Scottie Avon Rod on ebay at the moment with images showing the numbers 51 & 46.

From my limited knowledge I understand that rods bearing the Farlow logo on the cane above the Scottie Dog are post 1958?

Any light the esteemed members of this forum can shine on this subject would be appreciated.

Thank you
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Dating J.S Sharpe Scottie Rods

Post by Nobby »

I do know that all the transfers are frequently for sale on eBay, sadly. Rather makes it all a bit uncertain......

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

It has been explained on the internet as:

"Starting in 1964 until December 1969 the rods were numbered with the first digit of the 2 digit number being the the year and the second being the month. The last number was the number of that rod for the month."

This makes this rod the 46th made in January 1965.

I've seen that ebay rod and it's interesting as it has the Sharpes style spinning rod tip and butt rings not the lined agate ones. I'm sure these rings may well be genuine (ie the rod hasn't been restored) and it might be an early example before they got into using the Agate lined rings, which are those normally seen on the Sharpes Avon and Carp. The ferrules are the usual style for this rod and not those used on their spinning rods. The handle has a slightly different flare to that normally seen on the coarse rods.

I'm sure they used the lined agate rings through most of the production run, which I think was about 400 rods of each type. However, I'm beginning to suspect the early and late production rods didn't have lined rings. Of course they may just have run out of stocks for a few weeks… your guess is as good as mine.

Don't worry about the numbers being stamped all over the place, that is quite normal, they never seemed to get them to line up. I've seen one rod with the month number double stamped – they obviously got their dates muddled up. The red dots on the ferrule should line up and I think they do so on the underside of the rod. If they don't line up it's a certain sign the rod as been restored and the tip section turned.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Beresford - thank you for that, very much appreciated.

I have a Sharpes Carp - no red dots on the ferrules and they are the same as the Avon rod on ebay. Though I have an 8ft spinning rod that does.

The Carp has the numbers 3 12 203 so starting year of 1964 aside, this rod was made in December 1963 and was rod number 203. It only has agate lined butt and tip rings, which I assume would fit with your suspicions.

As they say you live and learn. Thank you again.
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The red paint in the dots on my Sharpes carp has worn off but the 'dents' are there. The tip on mine has been turned but the whippings match perfectly and I wondered if Sharpes might have done the work.

The spinning rods have ferrules with 'grips' machined into them. I'd love to know but I'm convinced the Sharpes Carp is a Salmon Spinning rod in disguise. It's a lighter tip than many other MkIVs.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Hi everyone, new member, just joined about 10 minutes ago. I found this forum while researching Sharpes 'Scottie' carp rods.

I bought a matching pair of Scottie 'The Carp' (impregnated) about 20 years ago, they were not new but judging from their condition they had not been used at all. I bought them from a mate who had owned them for a few years and was short of cash. There were no reel marks on the corks and the reel fittings and rod rings showed no sign of use. I haven't used them much because I prefer my Mk IVs. I used one rod a few times to catch carp off the surface, the other has never been out of the house ! I think they date back to before S & J Tackle was founded in 1982. They are 10' 1.25lb test curve and have not been restored in anyway. I have the original rod bags. They don't have any marks to align the ferrules or any numbers on the butt fitting. I intend to use these rods regularly, if I post a pic of the rods on here can someone advise on their likely date ?

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

apologies only just seen this. Thank you for setting me straight - very helpful thank you.

SofaSurfer - I am sure if you post a pic someone will come along and help. I am in awe of the knowledge out there and the generosity of those that respond.

John Steinbeck

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Can't post a picture, its 3.8Mb and this forum only allows 256k, suggestions anyone ?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

SofaSurfer wrote:Can't post a picture, its 3.8Mb and this forum only allows 256k, suggestions anyone ?
Follow the instruction on this link Sofasurfer, this way there is no file size limit.

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... f=84&t=838
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Anyone know the approximate date of this rod ?

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”