Post by Bjp »

Thank you nobby shall give it a go

regards

bjp :Hat:

Chavender
Eel

Re: Left or right handed?

Post by Chavender »

if you have access too a grinder or fine file ,the rear of the pawl is slightly curved as it rocks against the spring ,the shoulder (at the spikes end) will need rounding off a tad as its too square and can cause the pawl to get lodged in against the lever arm because the slot is off centre ,once rounded off it'll rock back & forth allday and the pawl is then uni-directional you simply flip it to change direction .

I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

ok i give in :surrender: would some kind gent post a pic of the backplate and the pawl in the correct place because i have turned it all ways (well obviously not all ways) and i just cant get it to work, any other position and i have no ratchet at all, yeah i know thick :Brickwall:

regards

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

second thoughts i don't think it is me being an idiot (although probably) once turned there seems to be a lot of play between the pawl and the spring as i can get it to work but as soon as reel is back wind seems to push the pawl round and not engage

regards

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I only have the one Speedia these days but it too can only operate in one direction, flip the pawl over and it doesn't work.

They do vary though, early reels have copper springs and a different pawl...in fact the later ones look a lot like JW Youngs parts to me.....

Someone wrote recently that you could flip the pawl in their reels too.....so I tried them as well and not one of them worked.

I'm afraid it truly is a case of re-shaping the pawl or living with it...I tend towards the latter as I only engage the pawl to put the reel away for next time or when I have slipped my net under a fish.

I like the sound of a screaming reel as much as the next man but was made to think it might disturb other anglers if I did it.

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

Thank you for that Nobby i shall leave as is, as you say they are loud on a quiet venue, unless you have someone hammering in their bank sticks at the same time that is :doh:

regards

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

You can tilt the pawl slightly by removing it and putting a small blob of araldite on the front of the surface on which the spring bears. This tilts the pawl towards the back of the reel and makes the check harder when line is being pulled off the reel. If this doesn't work or you don't like the way the reel now behaves it's easy to remove the glue.

You can also deepen the slot in the pawl with a Dremmel, but be careful as this isn't reversible.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

Bjp wrote:ok i give in :surrender: would some kind gent post a pic of the backplate and the pawl in the correct place because i have turned it all ways (well obviously not all ways) and i just cant get it to work, any other position and i have no ratchet at all, yeah i know thick :Brickwall:

regards

original position ,so if line off the bottom ,its louder/stronger winding in .longer strait edge upper most

r/h position (flipped) .longer stait edge lowermost ,so with line off the bottom its louder/stronger going out

if the base of the pawl corners arn't slightly rounded when flipped the bottom corner (now the top) will catch on the under side of the swing arm as the pawl is flicked by the cogs teeth the pawl has a slightly curved base to aid the rocking motion .its as it rocks the corner sticks to the under side of the swing arm and just needs radising a little to give the right clearance ,its advisable to do both corners as it'll help keep things from catching.

(if I hadn't sent my last spare improved speedia back through the post to someone and the post office loosing it ,I would of done a photo guide . if I get another i'll do a guide )
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

Thank you for that Chavender i did it right then i have just noticed also that the very corner of the pawl looks damaged tiny chip or wear out of it but i think my main problem is the spring not engaging the pawl when i turn it around

regards

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

If you look at Chavender's image there appears to be something below the pawl....if the spring rested against that it wouldn't bear on the back of the pawl....that's probably all that is wrong Bernie.

The Marco Cortesi reels made today have exactly the same issue.

Return to “Speedia Reels”