Restored or not?

The Speedia Reels forum.
Beryl

Restored or not?

Post by Beryl »

I'm in the latter camp. The last thing I want to worry about is mud on my boots if I'm fishing. Same with tackle. I'm tickled me looking on the bay tonight at the latest Speedia to enter eBay that may have broken the £200 barrier(if you include post) Its a miracle of micro polishing and masking but how worn are the bits that matter? Also, I was taken by the paint used on my first Speedia. It's sort of a micro crinkle finish, very attractive and obviously long lasting. Be a shame to lose these subtle notes of the original just to look clean an wholesome?

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Re: Restored or not?

Post by The Old Buffer »

I believe that it is all a matter of degree.

To me the act of refurbishing, restoring or renovating tackle is simply a matter of keeping it in good usable condition.

I will replace and re whip rod rings, replace ferrules and re varnish rods. I will also clean and tidy reels to keep them both looking and working well.

What I try not to do is change completely the look and feel of an article by messing about with it any more than is necessary. One has to know where to draw the line.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I buy to use my tackle but rods do tend to show their age and although an original has its charm a nice shiny restored rod has an allure of its own.

But £200 for a Speedia? Insanity.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I also use my tackle - all of it gets at least one outing every year and sometimes more often than that. Most of my rods have been re-whipped in the original colours and rings re-used or replaced with original patterns when beyond use usually through grooving. Varnish is important as it protects the cane from moisture ingress but I have heard some folks complain that too thickness an overall multi-coating of varnish affects the performance of the rod. I could not comment on that as I am not that good a fisherman.

As for centrepins I prefer the Allcocks Aerials rather than the Speedias so perhaps I am being saved from some enticements.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I think restoration is a good thing if done sympathetically.....It has without doubt preserved some of the wonderful old rods and reels that most of us on here have the pleasure in using today, without it most would have ended up on the rubbish heap.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Good thread this one and a worthy debate I'm firmly in the restored camp I have far more rods than I will ever own up to in public and everyone gets used at least once during the season. Most were bought for next to nothing in the bowels of flee bay but classic rods nether the less. Without the skill of the restorer the likes Wal,Cane&Able and Andrew Davis these classic rods would have been destined for the tip.
The varnish and silks may have been removed and replaced but the soul of the original cane is still intact and ready to be used again for another 50 years.
Bumble

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

:Thumb: Couldn't have put it better Colin......
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I'm not one for pristine tackle, it's there to be used. As long as a reel works I don't worry too much about a bit of wear and tear to the finish. Paying the sort of money mentioned above for a fairly basic centre pin is something I would never contemplate. But hey, if that's what someone wants to do why worry?
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

AndyPop
Silver Bream

Post by AndyPop »

If we are looking at the same reel, nice to see it isn't restored, just " very nice clean pre used condition"! I'm the camp of restoring rods that deserve to have their lives extended and allowed to live another season, reels I tend to service and keep the important bits in good working order. Oerall paint finish..... well don't they call it patina!
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

AndyPop wrote:If we are looking at the same reel, nice to see it isn't restored, just " very nice clean pre used condition"! I'm the camp of restoring rods that deserve to have their lives extended and allowed to live another season, reels I tend to service and keep the important bits in good working order. Oerall paint finish..... well don't they call it patina!
That's my thoughts too Andy, the finish on a reel is not as important as that on a rod. :Hat:

Return to “Speedia Reels”