??? Speedia with lineguard

The Speedia Reels forum.
Duebel
Rainbow Trout

??? Speedia with lineguard

Post by Duebel »

My collection of centrepins is growing. A year ago, I bought my first - a DAM Quick Shadow - today there are 5.
The latest acquisition was a Rapidex and Speedia. Both in good working order. You've all seen a Rapidex before but maybe you'd be interested in the Speedia with a lineguard.
It's probably not original but it looks pretty good. I'm not quite sure whether I'll leave the linguard on the reel or not.
Could one of the experts (Nobby?) please tell me some details like the estimated year of production of this Speedia?
By the way, it runs for over a minute and needs only the lightest touch to get started! I really like the Speedia.
Now I can sell my not at all loved Marco Cortesi Centrepin. Anyone interested? Not? Me neither!!!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: ??? Speedia with lineguard

Post by Nobby »

I'm no expert on the Speedia...I don't think anyone really is as we have so few details. Chavender and I have been making enquiries for some years now, but we haven't pinned much down for sure.
I think it's safe to say your reel is a Mk.IV....as far as I know there are only Mk.II and Mk.IV reels and the early ones with blobby handles and various paint jobs.

I have a Mk.II with a date in the box lid of 1951 and you can distinguish these by the big 'pill' in the middle of the spool. There aren't that many of them about so I think the Mk.IV reels followed soon after.....mid-Fifties, if not sooner, possibly.

It stands to reason that there's a Mk.I and a Mk.III out there but I've yet to meet anyone who has seen one.

The lineguard is home-made, I'd guess, but it's well done. I see there is a third hole, perhaps to suit the but ring on another rod?

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Thank you, Nobby! Don't be shy, you are an expert!

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Never had a need for a line guard on a speedia but try for yourself and then decide.
Nice purchase duebel well done mate

MA

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Took my Speedia out for a little pike float fishing. I missed a good one - couldn't set the hook correctly.
Tomorrow I'll try it again!

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Good purchase! That line guard has been well done and I suggest you try the reel out with and without it to see which you prefer.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I put a cork arbour on my last Speedia...two layers of 3mm cork sheet trimmed and the ends butted together. Although this didn't raise the arbour that much it was better with a lineguard afterwards, I felt....but then I'm clumsy.

I put a bit about Speedias on my blog:

https://nobbystackle.wordpress.com/2014 ... ho-dun-it/

My cork-arboured reel and lineguard can be seen on the right of the trio.

Return to “Speedia Reels”