Speedia Wide reel arbor: final call

The Speedia Reels forum.
MacMan
Dace

Re: Speedia Wide reel arbor: final call

Post by MacMan »

I see the arbours are getting a replay. Good to see. I printed a Grice and Young one last night, can't quite get one that works yet.

Matt

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

MacMan wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 pm I see the arbours are getting a replay. Good to see. I printed a Grice and Young one last night, can't quite get one that works yet.

Matt

I've always thought that if one could just cover those arbour shafts on a Gypsy d'Or you'd have the ultimate carp reel for close in fun. I've a pal who will use nothing else but his line looks ruddy awful!

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

The Speedia design was relatively easy because the pillars are thin and a decagon or whatever the shape was, worked perfectly, there really isn't an elegant solution for the GY, but as I write this I had an idea which I will try tonight. There isn't much arbour depth to work with on a Speedia either. 3mm past the pillars and there is only about 3mm left :(

Matt

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I've been using this opaque polypropylene for my arbors for a while.
It comes in A4 sheets which I cut into strips and sand down for a tight fit.
Works a treat for my needs. Also you can still see the pillars through the arbor when it is fitted which is a nice touch.
Russ

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That looks good Luga, does it bend without heating? How do you fix it in place...just the line??

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Nobby wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:53 am That looks good Luga, does it bend without heating? How do you fix it in place...just the line??
Hi Nobby,

Yes, it's basically plastic card, flexible yet stiff enough to form a very good circle around the pillars. Very light, around 1mm thick.
I found a clear electrical insulation tape which doesn't get gummy and I use a small strip of this to fix the arbor strip in place.
I've tried cutting the arbor to an exact length so the ends meet up precisely when wrapped round but even a slight overlap, when taped down, seems to be just as good.
The card comes in a multitude of different colours but I like the opaque.

Russ

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I still prefer bike handle cork tape. After a few turns virtually all of the angled effect is removed.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Hello Matt (MacMan),

It's great to see that your Speedia arbour is so successful, and that you are diversifying into one for a Grice and Young. I went through quite a few iterations on an arbour for the C340 Match Aerial. I first tried to make 12 identical pieces to slot between the 12 posts, as Watermole did from a perspex disk on a lathe, but I couldn't achieve tight enough tolerances on the 3-D printer. Some were too big and some too small. I guess the shrinkage during cooling is too variable. Instead, I went with a 4-piece arbour, extending 1/32" beyond the outside of each pillar. A few turns of line keep the four pieces in place. I thought I would post images of it as part of this thread, since it is where the expertise lies, and in a few days time begin a new thread for it, with the files attached, under the Allcocks section.

G. B.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

I have too say I have been working on a low tech solution for bespoke arbors / fillers for a while, that can be applied in layers or skinz to build up the arbor .I've been saving this up for a while ,tweaking it finding a little bit more to add etc ,and just added to it a little extra bit on filling fixed spool reels ,deep spools like Mitchell alloy spool 300/410's etc and altex spools ,but the princables the same for most spools arbors.

Now my solution is noware near as good as a 3D printed one ,in looks or fit ,but its a good solution ,especially if its a odd reel not worth a costly bespoke 3D printed one. I've got too choose the right pics too go with the text etc ,a little fine tuning (spell checking etc) then i'll post .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

At under a tenner a pop, I wouldn't call a 3-D printed arbour costly, as it turns a reel from a line-mangling curiosity into a proper fishing tool that works with you rather than against.
I have an Eagle, a Match Aerial and an Avon Royal Supreme I'd love to get out of mothballs, three lovely reels that I could upgrade for 10% of the cost of a Purist. Not that I ever would stump up more than my car's worth for a reel, but £30 or less to get those three going again - WOW!
I'll also be measuring up my Black Cat to see if , by some jouyous chance, it shares its geometry with one of the others.

Good heavens, I might end up with - is this possible? - too many centre-pins!
"What?...NO!" (F. Waller).
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Speedia Reels”