The speedia, ebay and vintage tackle sites

The Speedia Reels forum.
Frenchman

The speedia, ebay and vintage tackle sites

Post by Frenchman »

The speedia seems to be a highly regard pin for trotting, which is my favourite way to fish. So I'm on the look out for at least one wide speedia. Condition isn't too important but function is as it's going to be well used. There seems to be two choices when it comes to buying a speedia, a vintage tackle site or ebay.

Is ebay a complete lottery or is there anything I can look for in the pics to make sure I buy a useable reel? Or even questions I should be asking the seller? Living in France trying to get the reel fixed into working condition isn't going to be too easy so I could do with avoiding a pig.

Is a vintage tackle site a safer but more expensive way to buy a working reel?

And lastly, I'm aware that the price of anything is the price somebody is prepared to pay and condition will effect price but what kind of price should I be looking to pay?

Quite a few questions but cheers for any advice. :Thumb:

OldFellah

Re: The speedia, ebay and vintage tackle sites

Post by OldFellah »

I also live in France and use ebay extensively and so long as you take care in studying both the description and the feedback score of the seller you should be ok. In recent weeks I have bought a Hardy Altex, a Hardy Exalta, three cane rods and a Mitchell 300s and all were exactly as described and service excellent. Your real problem will be that some of the sellers will not send abroad so it is handy to have a friend in the UK that you can have an item delivered to when it can be checked over before forwarding to France. Good luck :Thumb:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

With regards to the questions I think if there are any worries or concerns you may have, they are your questions. For example, how smoothly does the reel run, is there any wobble. If you don't get straight forward answers back just walk away. Also if you ask five straight questions you need five answers back, if not ask again for clarification. One seller on ebay had two different rods shown in his listing and was unable to give me a straight forward answer as to which of the two was actually for sale. Result – I walked away.

There is a seller called Pikefisher from Kings Lynn, from time to time he has very nice Speedias for sale. I'm not certain but I suspect he restores them.

As to prices I've no idea since they seem to have gone from very high to now getting lower. Perhaps somebody else has a better handle on this aspect?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

Its always better if you can see the reel and give it a once over before you part with the money obviously.
But if evilbay is the only option ask the relevant questions and if you dont get an answer or its less than satisfactory walk away.
Regardless of what some say speedia reels are not rare and every week there is from 3 to 10 for sale. One thing I would totally avoid is repainted reels if a reel is repainted its a sign it was in poor condition.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

BBamboo wrote:Its always better if you can see the reel and give it a once over before you part with the money obviously.
But if evilbay is the only option ask the relevant questions and if you dont get an answer or its less than satisfactory walk away.
Regardless of what some say speedia reels are not rare and every week there is from 3 to 10 for sale. One thing I would totally avoid is repainted reels if a reel is repainted its a sign it was in poor condition.
Hmm, sorry but I have to respectfully disagree here. A painted reel does not necessarily mean a poor condition reel. Sometimes an owner just wishes to tart up the reel. I've bought about 3 Speedias (out of something like 20 or so narrow, wide and de-luxe models) that were repainted by a previous owner. I think this put off other buyers, not me though. They all turned out to be lovely reels. Conversely I bought one that was very original looking, hardly any paint missing and really looked nice. It wobbles like a Chivers jelly on a plate :( One day I'll get around to sending it off to Garry Mills for a new spindle.

So, what to ask? If there is only one photograph ask for more, lots more. Ask for photographs with the spool removed so you can see that the ratchet is all in place. It's easy to make a new pawl but a spring is a different matter. A lot of people say that it doesn't matter how long a pin will spin for.. Well, yes and no. If it is adjusted properly a Speedia should spin for anything from around a minute to up to 3 minutes. Yes, I know people who have a Speedia that just spins and spins. My best goes for around a minute and a half. If the reel you are thinking of buying only spins for a few seconds you have two options. One, walk away. The other try using it as a bargaining chip. It may only need a clean, a drop of oil and the grub screw setting up properly. Ask if there is any perceptible wobble from the reel on a light spin. Again, this might just be a slight adjustment job but it might also mean a worn spindle/bush. This can be repaired but you are probably looking at around £40 to £50 so factor this in when you buy.

Finally, what should you expect to pay? As little as possible is my motto :) Seriously though, you are probably looking at anything from around £45 up to £100 for a wide drum on eBay. At the higher end I would be expecting a Speedia de-luxe with the three position ratchet. Many sellers do not advertise the fact that they have a de-luxe model because they do not realise it. I've picked up about 4 like this simply because I studied the photographs. The de-luxe is rather desirable because it is useful to use on the river with the adjustable ratchet being able to combat strong flows (sometimes).

Good luck with the searching :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Frenchman

Post by Frenchman »

Although I've fished with centrepins I'm not really clued up, so thanks for the help guys.

I have somebody back in the UK it could be posted to so that isn't a problem. I'm not in a rush either so I'll ask questions and wait until I think I've found a good 'un.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

You might also consider one of the dealers. There's a number who are members of this forum and you might ask them to find a reel for you.

I'd recommend Steve Middleton of Traditional Angling or Jim of the VFC ( Vintage Fishing Company)

http://www.traditionalangling.co.uk/ABOUT-US.html

http://vintagefishingcompany.com/

It won't be as cheap as an eBay bargain....but it won't be a duff one either. These two gentleman have reputations to uphold and with most of their customers being some of the 500 members of this forum you can pretty much call that a guarantee.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

What Nobby said - I got my Speedia from Jim at VFC and have certainly not regretted it. I'm sure I would have said the same had I got one from Steve Middleton.

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

You can tell a lot from photos and you should ask at least the question about spindle play. I buy from Australia and have only had good ebay experiences. Most of the people selling reels seem to be very open and honest. If you keep an eye on ebay you will notice some sellers that continually have dodgy reels at too high a price, avoid these, again you can tell from the photos provided you have done some research and then have a nice giggle every time you see their reels.

On refurbed reel, the seller should clearly state that they have refurbed the reel or had it refurbed. There is at least one Ebay seller that doesn't clearly state that the reels have been refurbed yet they obviously have been, something about look what I got mixed in with a load of old tackel :roll: It really pays to spend a lot of time looking at listings and working out whos who in the zoo.

I don't doubt that some refurbed reels are crackers, but I want honesty from the seller.

I would prefer the seller say, I picked this reel up, it was in dire straits (hehe) paintwise, but I stripped it, etch primed and painted, there was no wobble or play and the reel is now in excellent condition.

Matt

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

Hi Macman

You have to laugh don't you, there is another seller which sells refurbished reels every one is strangely quoted as " appears to have been refurbished" :Hahaha: :Chuckle:

Like you say if your going to do it at least come clean about it.

Return to “Speedia Reels”