Wonder if Jack ever met up?

This forum belongs to Jack Hargreaves.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: wonder if Jack ever met up?

Post by Santiago »

Was Jack Hargreaves also a presenter on 'How'? I'm sure he was !
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Santiago wrote:Was Jack Hargreaves also a presenter on 'How'? I'm sure he was !
Yes he was Trevor.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks! He was one of a kind and I suspect he had a great influence on our generation! I know he did for me!

Hemingway

Sibadd

Post by Sibadd »

Jakobus D a friend on line has pointed me to a link...this interesting debate about Jack... 'one of the lasts posts by a member called Stathamender is brilliant.' I have posted a link to this thread on the facebook pages I run exploring my stepfather's Out of Town broadcasts, including other clips like the one that kicked off this thread on 15th Jan - a clip in which Jack mentions a recurrent story by 'a tittle-tattler' about how while filming OOT he arranged for someone to catch fish for him so he could fake scenes of catching fish. The chat goes on from there. I was reading it with such enjoyment, digesting the allegations, the criticism and the eloquent rebuttals. I'm so glad I didn't spoil the thread by jumping in on the subject of whether JH faked his fluffs in the interests of authenticity. Somewhere on the internet I believe there is a an emergency help-line for when you need a philosopher in a hurry but I've lost it. I share the last quote: 'Thanks! He was one of a kind and I suspect he had a great influence on our generation! I know he did for me!' Now in my 70s I still feel J beside me as the boy I was, and conversations like this which I'd have found incomprehensible then, bring such pleasure and insight as I slowly and lately grow wiser.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Sibadd wrote:Jakobus D a friend on line has pointed me to a link...this interesting debate about Jack... 'one of the lasts posts by a member called Stathamender is brilliant.' I have posted a link to this thread on the facebook pages I run exploring my stepfather's Out of Town broadcasts, including other clips like the one that kicked off this thread on 15th Jan - a clip in which Jack mentions a recurrent story by 'a tittle-tattler' about how while filming OOT he arranged for someone to catch fish for him so he could fake scenes of catching fish. The chat goes on from there. I was reading it with such enjoyment, digesting the allegations, the criticism and the eloquent rebuttals. I'm so glad I didn't spoil the thread by jumping in on the subject of whether JH faked his fluffs in the interests of authenticity. Somewhere on the internet I believe there is a an emergency help-line for when you need a philosopher in a hurry but I've lost it. I share the last quote: 'Thanks! He was one of a kind and I suspect he had a great influence on our generation! I know he did for me!' Now in my 70s I still feel J beside me as the boy I was, and conversations like this which I'd have found incomprehensible then, bring such pleasure and insight as I slowly and lately grow wiser.

I'm just sorry that I grew up in the later Era and missed Jacks programmes. Unless they were on during me discovering fishing and growing up on a farm, with fishing rod and gun as company. Strange but I had little use for TV in my youth. Still, It's never too late to discover a gem like this. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Santiago wrote:Was Jack Hargreaves also a presenter on 'How'? I'm sure he was !
How was created by Jack Hargreaves. It was produced by Southern Television. Jack Hargreaves was a presenter and Deputy Programme Controller for Southern. It lasted until the early 80`s, when the company lost its franchise to TVS. Jack Hargreaves originally envisaged it as an adult programme, to be broadcast late evening, which he changed to an afternoon format for younger folk. About 250 odd programmes were broadcast..

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Wonder if Jack ever met up?

Post by Santiago »

Thanks! I'm beginning to think that Jack influenced me to becoming a Biologist through his TV programmes. And oddly when my son was younger we use to do lots of 'Out of Town' activities but I never realised until now that's what we were doing. Such was he passive influence that I forgot how much I now realise!

Hemingway

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Santiago wrote:
Was Jack Hargreaves also a presenter on 'How'? I'm sure he was !

Yes he was Trevor.
Fred Dinenage's jacket and shirt in that clip have to be the two most appalling things I've seen in a long time. :shocked:
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

You haven't seen his dyed 'comb-over' then?

:laugh:

http://www.easthampshire.org/wp-content ... 5-1211.jpg

His hair is now darker in colour than 30 years ago.

I shouldn't mock....each trip to the bathroom convinces me I'm rapidly catching him up. It may be time to put a lower wattage bulb in there to reduce the shine.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Bunty James (born 1933, Maryport, Cumberland, England) is a former British television presenter who is best known for her appearances on the educational children's television science programme How in the 1960s and 1970s with Jack Hargreaves, Jon Miller and Fred Dinenage.
niceroach

Return to “Jack Hargreaves”