Jack Hargreaves at home interview

This forum belongs to Jack Hargreaves.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Jack Hargreaves at home interview

Post by Mark »

A lovely 3 part interview with Jack Hargreaves at his home in Dorset.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Weyfarer

Re: Jack Hargreaves At Home Interview

Post by Weyfarer »

Excellent, thanks for the link. There's quite a collection of his stuff now.

CrayCane
Chub

Re: Jack Hargreaves at home interview

Post by CrayCane »

Great stuff. I enjoyed that. Thanks for posting the link.

Pete

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Excellent stuff :D
I just Googled Jack - didn't realise he was a major in the Royal tank regiment during the war....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

I really enjoyed watching that. There was, to me, a very telling (but almost throw-away) remark in Part 1, when JH said he doubted a democracy would be capable of solving the problems facing the countryside.

A man of his vintage would have been well aware of the extreme right-wing tendencies of several of the founders of what later developed into the organic farming movement. I do believe that had it not been for WWII and the accompanying consciousness-raising about the dangers of fascism, the UK might have gone at least part of the way down that road.

I think JH regretted the way that farming and the countryside in general was being steadily subordinated to the cities, but knew that he couldn't stomach the politics that would be necessary to reverse those trends.

Grayshott

Post by Grayshott »

This brings back some memories.!

Wessy

Post by Wessy »

Great stuff, I knew Jack and met him when he drank in the London Inn top of Ryde IoW
and we had many many talks like this, he was younger then but still killing his friends
with smoke, and so very down to earth and honest about the country life.
Wes

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thankyou for listing those interviews Mark, I have just listened to the first and I am looking forward to the other two later. He was a boyhood hero of mine and is missed by many I suspect. What a lovely place to live and whilst listening to the first clip I found myself picking out the bird song in the background and probably missed some of what Jack says..I shall have to listen again. That chaffinch is a lovely songster in the background and sounds like he is trying to steal the show. I have just purchased his LP on fishing and I am looking forward to receiving it and giving it a spin.

Zipper
Roach

Post by Zipper »

Even as a complete townie I used to love Jack on TV. He had something magical about him. It's a bit late to enjoy those clips now but I certainly shall tomorrow.

Return to “Jack Hargreaves”