Wotton Underwood Lake

This forum belongs to Wotton Underwood Lake.
Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Wotton Underwood Lake

Post by Marc »

They look canny Loop. I nearly bought some of the little Trent trotter types that are sometimes for sale, I think they'd make good shallow water floats that need to carry some shot.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

Julian wrote:
Sandgroper wrote: ............................ There are other houses on the estate and one of them is now owned by Tony Blair which I suppose does not help the neighbourhood a great deal. Sir John Gielgud once had a home there and he used to throw pebbles at a friend of mine as he rode by on his bike...........................

.............................. Some years he has syndicate tickets left over and he can be contacted at john (at) john-mason.co.uk As far as I know, you don't have to know a member to gain entry, just the money necessary for the ticket.

The Blairs live in the South Pavillion - right next to the main house. Sir John Gielgud also used to live in the South Pavillion.
On occasions when I have visited the grounds - public entry adjacent to the main house, if the Blairs have any 'event' on you are greeted by guards with machine guns as you drive past the South Pavillion :shocked:

Also I think you do have to be the 'right sort' of angler to gain membership - not just anyone with the money. I was told my interests in traditional methods and tackle, and fishing simple tactics make me just the sort of member they would like - so that would apply to most of you on this forum I would guess.
Perhaps I put the money issue a bit too baldly. Of course John is concerned about the people who join Wotton, but as I said recommendations from other members are not necessary.

It is good that you are on the waiting list for next season, I hope you get the ticket and that you do well there. In my experience the rudd can be a bit of a pest at times, but small ones can be knocked on the head and used as dead baits for pike. The pike will also take ledgered herrings and worked sprats. I don't know if big ones are still caught there, indeed, I don't know if people fish for them seriously, but there is always plenty of food for pike, so I see no reason for them not to grow big.

One of the homes on the estate was rented by a guy called Colin Forsythe and he and his step son, Nicholas Stafford-Deitsch had tickets there, though Colin hardly ever fished. Colin was likely to turn up in one of two cars, a 6.5ltr Merc or a Roller. Mrs. Brunner, incidentally, a lady in her 60s, drove an E-type Jaguar.

Anyway, the lakes are lovely waters to fish, I am sure that you will enjoy your self there.
Eagles may soar but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Thanks Sandgroper :Happy:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Julian wrote:Great photos and information Sandgroper, and thanks for the contact details.

The syndicate owner has now informed me he hopes to be able to offer me a membership place next season :Happy: :Sun:
Fingers crossed - very tightly :Beg:
I also contacted John and he also hopes to be able to offer me membership from next season :Beg:
Many thanks Sandgroper. :Hat: :Happy:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

Snape wrote:
Julian wrote:Great photos and information Sandgroper, and thanks for the contact details.

The syndicate owner has now informed me he hopes to be able to offer me a membership place next season :Happy: :Sun:
Fingers crossed - very tightly :Beg:
I also contacted John and he also hopes to be able to offer me membership from next season :Beg:
Many thanks Sandgroper. :Hat: :Happy:
Wonderful, and there is one thing about John Mason, his word IS his word. If he says he will do his best help, he will do his very best! Good luck to both you and Julian.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

A very interesting and inspiring thread and I really enjoyed the Wotton photos. It has inspired me to put a date in the calendar for a visit next summer, God willing.

Thank-you and tight lines for a Wotton tench when you get your ticket next year!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Floppy Hat

Post by Floppy Hat »

Can you get day tickets? Or do we just have look and be frustrated?

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

When I was running Wotton it was members only there, though members could get guest tickets for friends. Mrs Brunner had been having a lot of trouble with irresponsible anglers and so when I took over the fishery from an Aylesbury angling club I assured Mrs Brunner that we would know the name of every angler who fished there. I am almost certain that John Mason is running the fishery in pretty much the same way. There may be a place or two in the syndicate for next season and if you are interested, I can let you have John's address.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Floppy Hat wrote:Can you get day tickets? Or do we just have look and be frustrated?
Definitely no day tickets.

You can visit the grounds and lakes of the house on the days they are open to the public - that includes a lengthy walk round the estate which means you get to see the lakes.
If you read further back nearer the beginning of the thread you will see the details I posted about when the grounds are open.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Hugo Curgudgeon

Post by Hugo Curgudgeon »

Wonderful thread, superb photos!

My thanks to all.

Regards,

Hugo

Return to “Wotton Underwood Lake”