Traditional Ambassadeurs

The ABU Reels forum.
Phil Arnott
Chub

Re: Traditional Ambassadeurs

Post by Phil Arnott »

Interesting to see ABU 5500c Syncros. I rate them as the best reel for fishing for bass they are absolutely superb for playing hard fighting fish like bass. I also have a 6500c syncro which I've used to catch tope from the shore. They performed superbly

Below are my bass fishing reels. I have two syncros the one shown is fitted with a ct cage. I also have a 2100 sport which John Darling used at times for bass fishing.

MHC

Post by MHC »

Found this photograph published in Pike, by Fred Buller. An account was given in the book that Buller and Walker were fishing Loch Lomond. Buller had hooked, played and was about to land the largest pike he had seen, weight estimated at around 50lbs. While about to be boated the fish made a lunge and the braided line broke at the swivel. Buller later found out that braided lines are significantly weakened by any knot other than the 'hangmans jam knot' due to strangulation.
Here is Walker taking no chances, using a Sea Streak Intrepid reel, maybe on the same trip to Loch Lomond.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I used multipliers for most of my big water pike fishing. They were so much more robust and reliable than fixed spool reel. The pictures of Walker and Buller on Loch Lomond brought back fond memories. The boats they used are still available for hire from Macfarlane's boat yard in Balmaha:

Quot homines, tot sententiae.

CafeRacer
Dace

Post by CafeRacer »

Its funny the way I havent really given multipliers much thought considering I use them for all my lure work,heavy deadbaiting and of course beach casting.All Ambassadeurs and a Record or 2.Lovely looking reels you have there. :Thumb:
"Crazy,toys in the attic I am crazy,truly gone fishing."

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

I use my 5000 four screw model for piking in freshwater,too.
Fits well on my Fibalite Spinning No1+2 and on my LRH 2+3.

Lovely reels but I thinks a tadd to small for Salmonfishing..
a7000 model might be better...

MHC

Post by MHC »

I now consider my 5000's the maximum size Ambassadeur for what I get up to in freshwater , my 6000C mostly stays in its box these days as it's width makes it feel like a handful. A 7000 would be a huge reel to weald while casting for salmon or indeed pike, ( it was intended for sea applications) overkill I would think and tiring to use.
Buller and Faulkes, plus others seemed to use 6000C's for Scottish Atlantics as the fish could be on the large size in big rivers like the Tweed and the Spey, so line capacity was important.
The diameters (plus other features) of the 4000,5000 and 6000 reels are the same , yet their widths change, the 6000 being the widest. I have come to be very fond of fishing the narrower 4600-C3 for pike and muskie, as they sit well in the hand. These fish do not take long runs so line capacity is not a factor, I like to use 30lb braid and they take enough line so that the diameter of the spool is not reduced much by a long cast.

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

MHC wrote:Crank handled cane ABU rod, have yet to see one of those...
I would be interested to see that rod also.
In 1971 a 5000 C and a Caster 152 was the outfit that started me fishing in Sweden,
still perfectly working to this day.
I used to send the reel to ABU Germany every winter in the 70s, got it back fully serviced for free,
can't remember when they stopped that service.
I have also a great 7000 C - the best spinning reels in my eyes :Thumb:
a 2500 is on the wish list

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

There are several crank cane rods that were used in Scandinavia.Most of them are about 6 feet long
and have a triggergrip.I own a unnamed (I think a Arjön...)which has a TC of about 2 lbs and is 5,6 feet
long.Today something like this would be named Jerkbait rod.Coupled with a Record 1500 it is an ideal
plug fishing combination.I saw this combos at Laxenhus at Morrum/Sweden for the first time and had
to own one....

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Tinca Tinca wrote:There are several crank cane rods that were used in Scandinavia..
but did ABU ever made cane rods?

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

I think not themself.I think they bought blanks from Arjön and did the ABU badge on it.Iam nearly
sure that there was an ABU combo at the museum in Mörrum.(Laxenhus not ABU museum...)In
Sweden was "customrodbuilding" a hobby for the long winterevenings,so it is possible that I saw
a custom rod there.Problem is that Iam a little to far away from Mörrum for having a look :Cry:

Return to “ABU Reels”