Traditional Ambassadeurs

The ABU Reels forum.
MHC

Traditional Ambassadeurs

Post by MHC »

Surprised there have been no posts here regarding these most capable and attractive ABU reels, made in Sweden. Truly big fish reels.

Top row, left to right: 2 x 5500 SYNCRO early 90's. Black 5000C ,70's. 6500C 80's.
Bottom row, left to right: the dininutive 2500C, smallest of the range, 70's. Red 1750A , 70's. Narrow spool 4600C3 early 90's.

Smooth as butter all,

MHC

Re: Traditional Ambassadeurs

Post by MHC »

Almost forgot to include, the ABU Sport 2100 tournament casting reel from the early 70's with magnesium spool, alongside the smallest ABU Hi-Lo lure.

MHC

Post by MHC »

None of these have been used in the salt.

One of the best reels for baitcasting/ lure fishing for pike though, plus deadbaiting of course. I once managed a 14lb pike on the little red one that I purchased from Hardy's Pall Mall shop in 79 or so, whilst using it in Marlow Weir pool on the Thames - in those days you could stand on the sill.

Smaller one (2500) marketed in the mid 70's ABU catalogues Tight Lines- ' Use it for grilse and sea trout spinning or trotting big rivers like the Thames and Avon, for fishing the minnow for stream trout, for casting gobs of paste for chub, carp, barbel and tench'

It had a hefty price tag in 1978 at 40 pounds.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I find multipliers just so tactile, I love them and would, given the chance, spend ages just handling and fiddling with your fantastic collection. Playing a fish on a multiplier is second only to a centre pin in my mind and I only use right hand wind reels, I just can't get my head around using the left even though all of my other reels have handles on the left.

I've considered using them for coarse fishing other than pike but my rods are not rung to be fished upside down. Little baitcasters for lue fishing would be so much fun on carp and barbel.

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

I always associate the Abu Ambassadeur and in particular the 6500c with spinning for Salmon on Scotland's River Tay back in the day. Here are some photos of Mr Hardy and Mr Falkus and Mr Buller using their Ambassadeurs and their probable transport down to the river. Bruce and Walker and ABU reels were the de facto outfit back then.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

I have a 2500c I use with a 7ft cranked handle cane Abu. It flicks a lure more easily than even the 5000 models.
My Reel of choice for a couple of hours roaming. Looks like a toy until it's used, handles big fish with ease. Good Shout MHC

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Used to own a50001C one of the few left handers :Thumb: Nice reels . Kindest regs . Woolly Bear . :Hat:

MHC

Post by MHC »

Crank handled cane ABU rod, have yet to see one of those...

The Ambassadeur 2500C is indeed very small and can cast light baits easily, it is about 2/3rds of the size of the 5000's, the drag though is about the same size. They are quick and precise to use and the direct drive is a pleasure to fish and as smooth as smooth can be with those small bearing races. Mine came from a tackle shop owner who received it from Garcia Canada. The double handles were on the first model in 1976, the single handle came along shortly after. Tight Lines (UK) catalogue from 1978.

Malcolm

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I still have my pair of the old ABU 7000's non ball bearing beach/boat reels although they are a bit tatty now. I remember fishing on the piers and beaches of Kent and when most were using Seastreaks, squidders and surfcasters my mate had a Zoom rod and an 6000 when they first came out, boy what an outfit that was at the time. I also have my 6500's that I use for the sea now.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Well i am going to try them for the first time this year.Ive managed to find two Abu 6000c reels black finish.two 6000 red finish,a lovely little 5000 red,and a green 6500cs which i think is a more modern version.

Some will be used for sea fishing.I was hoping to use the 5000 for a little piking but the floods have prevented it.I am seriously thinking about trying some Salmon and sea trout fishing.The 5000 or 6000 will go well with a couple of cane spinning rods.Ive tried them in the garden :geek: .The river ive been looking at will mostly be fly but the spinning rod comes out in coloured water i am told.

They are very pleasant to play and fiddle with and some have leather cases with tools and oil. :Happy: .

Return to “ABU Reels”