Hooky "505" on ebay what on earth is going on ?

The ABU Reels forum.
NickM
Ruffe

Hooky "505" on ebay what on earth is going on ?

Post by NickM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABU-505-VINTA ... 1503834125

Hooky "505" being bid to a ridiculous price between two competitors. I have contacted the seller for his views on the likely outcome if the ultimate victor in this contest of fools complains when they discover they've bought a 506 with a 505 housing. However, the fact there are two bidders prepared to pay silly money (above the norm for a good 505 or 506) and to whom (one would reasonably imagine) such an obvious rogue ought to be obvious makes me doubt my own conviction that this is nonsense.

Am I wrong?

Stathamender
Tench

Re: Hooky "505" on ebay what on earth is going on ?

Post by Stathamender »

Doesn't look like you're wrong to me especially when the page shows pictures of other 505s and 506s below for direct comparison. Maybe it's a little known hybrid that's in special demand among collectors.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just goes to show - 'know your product' - or at least look it up on Google!!

Following the 'hybrid' post above - I can make lots of them with spare covers!

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

This looks suspiciously like two bidders thinking they would be the only one to place a ridiculously high maximum bid.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Surely a 505 has a star drag? I know nowt about these reels but that's not a 505 if so......

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Its a 506 mate with a 505 cowling as said above, possible the guy with zero feedback is helping it along for his mate or he has no idea what he is about to buy.
Am I surprised about the sum of money its reached? not really, seen a lot worse than this thats for sure
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

It's lost it's badge, the cowl's are interchangeable and this one's from a 505, the rest is 506.
niceroach

MHC

Post by MHC »

No one was interested in my 505, so I gave it away...in fact just posted it off this evening to a forum member, along with Nobbys large rod ring that he seems to have a penchant for. Fickle bunch you closed faced fans...

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I was ruddy tempted by your 505 Malcolm, a most generous offer, but I've never held one so thought it should go to someone who knows more about them.

Thank-you in advance for the rod ring....I need all the help casting I can get with or without a fixed spool reel.

I hope one day to be able to repay your thoughtfulness and generosity :Hat:

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

MHC I thought your offer was very kind also, problem is I have sold many of these on eBay which I purchased to help build the ABU 505 book, would of been all to easy for me to accept the offer of your reel only to have some tongue in cheek remarks the next time I sold one.
Going back a few years I ran as secretary for my local angling club and we had many junior anglers who really would of appreciated a reel like that, its where I would of given it to and let them know it was your donation, now they all seem to have one thing in their heads and that is computer games, the demise of the junior section of our club was incredible and no longer exists, shame but that is how its gone.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”