Chenille for ABUs

The ABU Reels forum.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Chenille for ABUs

Post by OldTackle »

I do own two 506 and one 507 and still do not know what you are talking about. Please let me know by a picture or two as I guess something might be missing on my reels / spools...

Christopher
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

CafeRacer
Dace

Post by CafeRacer »

OldTackle wrote:I do own two 506 and one 507 and still do not know what you are talking about. Please let me know by a picture or two as I guess something might be missing on my reels / spools...

Christopher
The chenille or o ring goes around the edge of the spool preventing the line from getting trapped and damaged behind the spool.Have a look at these 2 pictures,1 has the rubber o ring(which looks to be the best option) and the other pic shows chenille being put onto the spool.
http://www.classicvintagefishingtackle. ... sparts.htm
http://purepiscator.com/forum/default.a ... osts&t=364
"Crazy,toys in the attic I am crazy,truly gone fishing."

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think I'd worry about the friction caused by a rubber strip....at least the chenille is just a bit of fluff and has little friction to offer. Though the first Mitchell spool I did with the non-wired centre chenille I did do a little too slack and you could both feel and hear the rubbing against the inside of the rotating head.

From looking at the chenille offered as a replacement part from Jim I think it is of a bigger size than thei.5mm ( Size 00) that I use on Mitchell Match spools.

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

You could stick some green felt to the top of the spool and the trim around the edge
of the spool leaving about 2mm overhanging

ATB Macko

Benj1dog

Post by Benj1dog »

Hi on the subject of large rubber o rings, i have a quantity of 3 mm diameter large o rings that while will be too large can be cut and glued using super glue, if these are of the right thickness 3mm then if somebody would like to try , i will send some.

Thanks

Return to “ABU Reels”