Abu 44x re-finish

The ABU Reels forum.
TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Abu 44x re-finish

Post by TemeLAD »

Having taken quite a shine to these reels I decided that the tattiest deserved a new lease of life and so based on feedback from the likes of BeechmereLake in earlier Abu threads I contacted Ray Moss. What a gentleman, fast to respond and no fuss he quoted a very reasonable rate for a full refurb, strip and service so without a second thought I posted the reel off to him.

I could kick myself for not taking some before photos but the reel Ray posted back to me and received today is nothing short of incredible. My photos do not do it justice, the green and cream livery is spot on:

In short I cannot recommend him highly enough :Hat: I doff my cap to you Sir!
Last edited by TemeLAD on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Abu 44x re-finish

Post by Kingfisher »

That looks flippin lovely. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I have to say TemeLAD the finish he gets is better than the original paint they come with from new, it makes you wonder why they are so cheap because I have painted for 35 years and to get that finish for that money is incredible.

If you get a chance check his next listing out, its a Cardinal 55 done in pearl white, must say it looks amazing.

Just found the picture so take a look.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Now that is very smart.

It's not just the paint finish, the care and detail is incredible and included replacing the missing corrosion resistant decal. Ray sent me a couple of progress photos including one of the fully stripped reel and cleaned parts and not a single short cut is taken. As you've probably guessed I am immensely impressed.
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Ray is a maestro when it comes to Abu's - looking at Temelad's pictures he can even get them to stick to the ceiling :Sarcasm:

If anybody has any Cardinal queries or repair issues Ray is definitely the man to go to (with all due respect to the fettlers that frequent these pages).

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Your quite right there Dave Burr, Ray will attend to a reel while he is waiting on the paint drying on another, can fix most things with any Cardinal reel and there are no hidden fees or expensive parts added to your total, the guy is a great bloke to deal with as I guess many already know. :Thumb:

"BB"

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Can recommend Ray as a top guy I've had 4 reels repainted by him a 66 in tradditional cream and green a 57 in pearly white similar to the picture posted and a pair of 55's in candy red all top jobs and all at a very reasonable price ... Worth a try

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

All being well I am hoping to see him at Redditch this year, that should be a blast. :Thumb:
He will be the bloke in the green jumper and cream trousers if you looking :Hahaha: :Hahaha:

"BB"

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Recently a joint decision was made on whether or not to restore a battered old Cardinal 66, a reel many would class as a first version, apart from the gearing the reel was in such a state it may not of warranted spending money on.
I talked with Ray about doing the reel and bringing it back to near perfect condition, all the while not being to sure about it remaining in its useless condition due to what it was.
Anyway a decision was made and here is what was once described as a "piece of junk fit for no collection" turned out like.

"BB"

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Blimey! It's a 'minter' :shocked:

:Hat: Ray.

Return to “ABU Reels”