My first ABU fixed spool

The ABU Reels forum.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

My first ABU fixed spool

Post by Wagtail »

I grew up drooling over the Tight Lines catalogues, never able to afford anything from them apart from the odd Droppen spinner!

In more recent times a few Ambassadeurs have come my way (for pike fishing) but until now I have not felt the need to buy any ABU fixed spool reels. Yesterday that changed when this one was offered to me. Not exactly vintage but this is now my first Cardinal - a 54. It had some yellow spray paint (?) on the underside and around the rotor but a bit of acetone soon shifted that away. I reckon it will do nicely for some light carp fishing.

Anyway, I paid a hundred for it - hope that wasn't too much.....

....pence that is :whistle: :laugh1:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: My first ABU fixed spool

Post by BeechmereLake »

Does the spool have matching gold writings on it? If so that alone is worth £20 :Thumb:

A good conditioned one of those is worth anywhere between £50-90 at the moment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A1-vintage-ab ... 7675.l2557
Last edited by BeechmereLake on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

A good one between 35 to 60 wagtail :Thumb:

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

It does have the writing on the front of the spool. Glad to know I got a bargain, will enjoy using it all the more now!
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Silexman
Ruffe

Post by Silexman »

I've been using an Abu Garcia 753 for carp fishing for many years (bought it in the USA over 30 years ago). Despite it being a small reel and made in Japan, it has never let me down, unlike my Mitchell 300s which just packed in one day.
The spools do indeed have gold writing on them but I doubt whether that makes any difference to the value of a (cheap) Japanese reel.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I had a set of 755's when they first came out and although they let me down only a couple of times they were nowhere near as good as my trusted Cardinal 55's, mainly the build quality fell off the reel as the now once great ABU SWEDEN Cardinals were being made in Japan, like cars a lot of cheap plastic was involved, apart from the spools and the bail trips the rest of the Cardinal 55 was bullet proof.

The 755's did have good drag systems though I seem to remember but didn't internally take a hammering like the 55's.
While a bailiff for ARC I managed on 3 occasions 100 double figure carp in a day session (Did it in Holland also) fishing churners or slack drag settings and the 55's were faultless, my 755's were gone before the chance came along to do it again simply because they were not up to the job with lesser amounts of fish, these are of course just my thoughts, I do know others who love them.

Regarding the colour of the spools writings though? The Cardinal 57,55,54 & 52 do have spools identical to the 157,155,154 &152 and they fit each other perfectly, however the Cardinal 54 and its stable mates has gold writings on its surface where the 154 and its stable mates has silver writings, the gold and silver coloring goes with the sticker outlines on the side plates for those who wish to collect the genuine thing, the 54 spool also can at times command a high price on the bay of evil when you can actually find one. :Thumb:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”