Abu 505 drag question

The ABU Reels forum.
BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: Abu 505 drag question

Post by BeechmereLake »

The 505 when released was better known as a closed face spinning reel designed with light salt water and coarse fishing in mind, the reel and its design were all about operation and the fact the reel never had a bail arm which the angler needed to operate before a cast was taken.

At the time of its release there was no market for such a reel so ABU had to create one for it, in 1965 it took the complete ABU GB marketing budget to advertise the reel to help it sell, the fact it was aimed at the UK was indeed significant towards the match angler though its original design was as I say a spinning reel without a bail arm aimed more at spinning for smaller fish, in the early 1970's the 507 was born and born as a spinning reel for Pike and Salmon fishing, who'd a thought it would end up being one of the greatest match reels ever made for the then wonderful style of trotting a float using relatively light lines.

The fact the reel took off over here was to lead to the creation and development of the 500 series reels due to the reels use in Match fishing, I dont have the sales figures at hand right now but when the 506 came around as a Match reel rather than a spinning reel the sales numbers were very high, the same went for the 507 after its first release.

It was only later in the late 1970's when the 501 model was released that the reel was really a dedicated match reel, it was also designed using the worst monkey metal main gears on any closed faced reel form the ABU stable.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

The General

Post by The General »

On the vexed question of the 505 being an open or closed face reel, readers of this thread might be interested to see this 1963 Australian advertisement for the reel stating clearly it is 'open faced'.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

The ones I have had the gears are the same in the bigger 507 MK1 to the gears in the 506. Same size only the handle is bigger, outer case ,spool and cover.
The gears in my 506 look the same as the gearing in the 501?

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

The gears for a 506 & 507 are not the same, they are very close and you can use a 506 gear in a 507, both are different part numbers so wont be the same part. The handle was changed around 1972-73, the 507 and 506 in the green boxes were better known as the Svangsta reels, they even had Svangsta on the side plate sticker, both had small handles because with a long handle the 507 would not fit into its polybox and enable the owner to put the lid on, later in 73-74 when the open top box came out the 507 had a longer handle on it as did the new 508 model.

"BB"

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Beechmere hi,just wondering when the 503 came out please.
I couldn't afford the 506 so bought the 503 some time in the seventies i think.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I cant remember exactly but it would be early 70s kevin

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I very much like the syncro drag systems on ABU reels and I've have had no problem playing big fish on light lines. I've landed quite a lot of 4/5lb chub and barbel up to 7lb on lines of 2-3lb. The 506 drag seems to work in a different manner in that you don't wind the handle backwards you just release it. I still have anti reverse pawls in my 506s, 507 and 1044 and use the syncro facility I think the problem is that you just need to gain confidence in it. All my river trotting is currently done using either an ABU 1044 or an Okuma Kennet. I'm a bit reluctant to risk my classic reels so much these days. Incidentally some match anglers in the 70/80s preferred the 507 as there was less chance of line burying. The other option is to only use only 50 yards of line as I'm sure many know.

I also use ABU 5500, 6500 and 7000 syncro reels for sea fishing which you do back-wind the handle to reduce the drag. The 5500 is my first choice for bass fishing as bass often suddenly turn and run very hard. I use the 6500 for tope fishing (from the shore). The fish in my avatar was caught on one.

I found when I first caught tope I was constantly having to alter the drag setting. I let the tope run on what I considered was the right drag setting but when it came to the end of the run and I tried to pump the fish but, because it was a heavy lump, the drag slipped and so I had to tighten it up. Of course I then got it part way in and it went for a run again so I had to slacken the clutch off again. I discussed this problem with some ABU reps at the NEC some years ago and they put me on to the Syncro drag multipliers. I absolutely love them!

When using normal fixed spool reel for big fish I tend to back wind but also have my drag set just in case. It's very rare that I play a fish on the drag of a standard fixed spool reel. When boat fishing for very large fish a lever drag reel is the best option.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Kevin, I believe according to my records the 503 came out around 1967, it was the Svangsta model with the deep gold/copper cowling and crinkle paint finish, any one you can find in a box is hideously rare IF in top condition.
I had spent 4 years working on a 300 page book on these reels but unfortunately it will never come about now, shame really :hairpull:

"BB"

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Thank you,That was the one,i got mine I think in 74.It seemed like everyone on The back few pages of the the Angling Times had a 506 in the seventies.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

It was match reel to have. I still use my 506 I purchased back in the mid 70s still going strong.

Return to “ABU Reels”