Cardinal 66, 77, X series & 6-7

The ABU Reels forum.
BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: Cardinal 66, 77, X series & 6-7

Post by BeechmereLake »

Yes Stour Otter, the Cardinal 40 is from mid to late 70's, looking at the picture its possible its a second version reel dating 76-78.
The only difference from the first version is the webbing or re-enforcing you see where the foot comes out of the body/housing is significantly bigger.

The 444A reels are early 1964 with the brass nameplate which when you look inside has two small legs that are bent over to hold it on the plate. The reel stayed the same till 1974 but the name plate was fixed and finished in silver.
You should have serial numbers on the top of the reel foot where it also has molded into the foot "Product Of Sweden" post the serial numbers and I can date them to the month they were made, if you struggle to see the numbers then rub some talcum powder over them, then gently wipe of the excess with a dry cloth leaving behind and much more visible the serial number. :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Thats great Beechmere Lake.

Serial number's for the 444A's are 090600 and 010800.

Many thanks
Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

OK Stour Otter, so the first number 090600 means 09 = September 06 = 1966 and 00 means no revisions which means its a first version of that reel.
Second number is 01 = January 08 = 1968 and once again no revisions, should mean both reels are identical.
In 1970 the numbers were changed around, the year came first then the month then the number of versions of that model.

"BB"

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Just to let any member who has an interest in the thread know I posted more pictures at the beginning of 1st version 66 and its box. :eyebrow:

"BB"

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

BeechmereLake wrote:OK Stour Otter, so the first number 090600 means 09 = September 06 = 1966 and 00 means no revisions which means its a first version of that reel.
Second number is 01 = January 08 = 1968 and once again no revisions, should mean both reels are identical.
In 1970 the numbers were changed around, the year came first then the month then the number of versions of that model.
Thank you BeechmereLake. The reels are identical. Bought them as part of an old tackle bag in the late seventies, both wrapped up in an oily cloth. They look the business on a pair of MkIV Avons.

Thanks again.
Stour Otter
Last edited by Stour Otter on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

We have many anglers on the forum and all will have their favorite reels for carp or Tench or Pike, I can tell you now for a budget reel back then they are probably the best Tench reel ever :Hat:

I do have a few of the range including the very first 444, although your reels are 1st versions they are 1st versions of the green and cream models :eyebrow:

"BB"

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

In the US and Canada, these reels were distributed by Zebco, with the `Zebco Cardinal' nameplate appearing in place of the `ABU Cardinal' nameplate, on the right-hand side of the body. Was the nameplate the only difference? And did the Zebco Cardinal 4/6/7 correspond to the ABU Cardinal 44/66/77 in the early 1970's? I ask because, back in the 70's in England, a new ABU Cardinal 44 or 66 cost more than the sum of all my fishing gear combined, and today you can buy a nice used model, with a few scratches but next to no mechanical wear, for $40 or so. They're giving them away!

G. B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomeland
Ruffe

Post by Tomeland »

Some good info here on Cardinals.... http://www.reelstown.com/abu.htm
care to share with us what camera you use to take your excellent photos Beechmerelake? Do you use a macro lens?
Last edited by Tomeland on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

My Sony camera will remain a secret but yes I do use a macro lens :Hahaha: , to be honest the camera is not worth much for taking pictures outside or inside for that matter, but I use the macro and it comes into its own, its why I have 10 of them, I have them just in case I break one then all I need to do is take the battery and card reader out of it and carry on taking pictures.

I also use a light box which helps give e a great picture, no flash required with it either, I use a brushed gold vinyl background with it too as I think it adds to the pictures.

On the Zebco reels? the only difference is the name plate/badge on the side plate, if you take for instance a Zebco Cardinal 6 and put an Abu Cardinal 66 side plate on it the reel would then be a perfect European reel, goes the same with many of the other models too.

"BB"

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Just thought for those who wish to see it, I have added another Cardinal 66 which was made around 71-72 and My friend Marco Malevasi who wrote the book on the ABU CARDINAL REELS believes this reel was made for the German market as its where all the ones he found came from. :Hat:
If your looking for it then its this one 3 or 4 pictures of the reel are placed in the appropriate place at the beginning.

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”