Re: Cardinal 66, 77, X series & 6-7

Post by Lough Currane »

Nice one BL Top Drawer Reels as you say fantastic engineering
Regards LC

Pentonhook
Dace

Post by Pentonhook »

My introduction to these reels came about when I picked up a cane rod from the seller.
He had a display cabinet with a selection of centrepin and fixed spool reels that
were in mint condition. I made a comment on the Cardinals not being a match
for the Mitchell reels, explaining that when I could afford a Mitchell I bought the 410's.

He then removed one of the Cardinals and gave it to me to spin, well what a revelation!
I had to admit they are far superior to the Mitchell's, although I still use the Mitchell's
and still maintain they are a superb reel.

I now have quite a few ABU's.

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

They are indeed very smooth, and superbly engineered reels that I enjoy using. But they were marketed in the 70's when swing-tipping was often the preferred legering technique. When you turned the reel handle slightly to set your swing-tip at the perfect angle for spotting shy bites, the last thing you wanted was a handle that rotated freely under gravity and reset the swing-tip angle. The handle of a Mitchell, with its extra gears inside (and superior line lay), stayed at whatever position you left it, without even having to engage the ratchet. As I recall, these Cardinals were used mostly for spinning or open bale-arm legering for pike or carp, whereas Mitchells were ubiquitous.

Different horses for different courses, I suppose. It's best to own quite a few of each.

G. B.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I fished with Cardinals for many years, even when fishing tip rods or feeder rods the setting of the tip was all to easy, all I did was place the rod in the rest, engage the A/R wind down and pick up the slack, then by loosening of the drag and making sure the handle was in the correct position (below the base of the reel) set the tip to where I wanted it by turning the spool to release line or gather it in, a slight bend in the tip would still show me a bite but would also show me a drop back bite, those who fish rivers will know what I mean. This small procedure would take all of about 10 seconds to do.

Of course you could also change the grease in the reel for a heavier construction and make the reel a little stiffer to wind or just add another shim behind the main gear :eyebrow: The one thing you never wanted was, as Mitch300 pointed out , a reel that fell backwards because of the handle weight and smoothness of the reel, wind knots accounted for many a lost fish as did the way many anglers fished.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

JAA

Post by JAA »

BeechmereLake wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:40 am
Of course you could also change the grease in the reel for a heavier construction and make the reel a little stiffer to wind or just add another shim behind the main gear :eyebrow:
Would you be so kind as to expand on that?

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

JAA wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:06 pm
BeechmereLake wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:40 am
Of course you could also change the grease in the reel for a heavier construction and make the reel a little stiffer to wind or just add another shim behind the main gear :eyebrow:
Would you be so kind as to expand on that?
If I may....... a heavier ( thicker ) grease would cause more internal drag and hence stiffer, adding a extra shim would force the two gears into a tighter mesh and again cause the reel to be stiffer, I'm no guru but I personally wouldn't do go adding shims unless compensating for wear. :Hat:

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Perfect answer Paul D on the grease, on the shim well you may be familiar with what they call backlash, backlash is a clearance between mating gear teeth like on a Mitchell (train gears), its built into to let the gears mesh without binding and to provide space for a film of lubricating oil between the teeth, this prevents or should prevent overheating and tooth damage, with an ABU using pinion and worm gear the backlash is very minimal, almost nothing such is the prefection of the system, the copper shim used on the abu reels is about as thick as silver foil but added to another is just enough to make a difference to how the reel feels, with the added heavier grease the reel is perfect for someone like me who has feeder fished for 35 years or more.
The one thing to always check on an Abu is the bearing wear, with the close tolerance of a stainless steel worm gear running with a brass main gear any movement in the bearing will put wear on the main gear for sure. :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

JAA

Post by JAA »

Thank you gents :Hat:

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Thanks for elaborating on the ABU way of trimming your swingtip, Beechmere Lake. The information exchanged on this forum is outstanding. With my Mitchell mindset (tighten the drag fully, never use the ratchet, and backwind when playing a good fish), I would not have thought of that. As soon as the weather improves, I will give it a go with my mid 70's Zebco Cardinal 4, 6 and 7. They are such nice reels to fish with.

G. B.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I bought a pair of 154s for tench fishing many moons ago! Sold them and regretted it and found a pair of 55s.

Recently tried a 77 - then bought 2! Then found the 66s have a smaller spool and got 3 of them! As well as working superbly - they look lovely on cane!!

Return to “ABU Reels”