ABU 505 SERVICE REELS

The ABU Reels forum.
Marc
Sea Trout

Re: ABU 505 SERVICE REELS

Post by Marc »

As always, fascinating stuff BL. I've only a handful of ABU, but your posts are helping me appreciate them more. I don't think I'll ever be a collector, bit rich for my blood, but if I ever get the bug I'll know where to call.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Anytime Marc (p.o.d) you seem to always show an interest so there must be a small trickle of the finest spinning reels out there in your blood somewhere. :Hahaha:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Truly magnificent stuff BL ,

Seems like yer just completely gifted in the collection and knowledge of all such Abu, match and auto bail reels, and having yer own books and the photography is brilliant :Hat:

I'd be very much interested to see the Abu book, would these be a very rare limited edition book or would I perhaps be able to purchase a copy

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I will PM you on your question Stuart.

"BB"

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Yes BL, these are mine and will be for sale at Redditch in a couple of weeks time.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

OK, I think I know where they will be then :Hahaha:

"BB"

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Apologies. I kind of take the photos for granted. They really are excellent. That's a lovely one of that smashing little dog
Ken Austin in West Bromwich was more of the old fashioned type tackle shop. I'm presuming it was Mrs Austin who brought out a sheaf of peacock feathers for the perusal of an angler, obviously for float makng. I bet you don't see that any more.
My dad collected Mitchells, although indiscriminately. He had different versions, but he was a great moocher at boot sales. Basically, if it said Mitchell he was having it.
But beware collectors! 2 becomes 1 was his motto, so reels would be taken apart and made into one 'perfect' reel.
After he passed, my brother sold thrm all, apart from the ones in his tackle box he actually used.
So it's very likely someone owns a Mitchell with not all original parts, at least not the ones it came with.
He would have loved the online Mtchell museum, and as he also used an ABU 501,a book on both would have been a perfect Christmas present.
All the best.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

You can pick up reels like that all day long on eBay willsmodger, I have seen too many Mitchell reels in my time with the wrong side plate on them and wrong handles but by far the best one I came across was a 300pro which had a 440 gear set and chrome bail arm and pick ups, even had an aluminium baffle plate, the gear set should of been brass and the bail, pick ups and baffle plate should be black satin, the rotor gear was also steel instead of brass, as per usual advertised as genuine, but wait a minute, could it be the reel was assembled like that, it did work pretty good seeing it was a Mitchell and we all know the later stuff before and just after they went bust was a compilation of parts to sell what they could, infact same thing in 1980 when Garcia finished and Mitchell Sports and Brownings involvement came along.
The 440A stood out big time on spare NOS parts being used with blue side plates being over painted black and even non re-enforced foot housings being stamped 1983, you never know too much about what your buying unless its in front of you, but again try taking an early half bail apart and mixing up some parts then put it back together and get it to work :Hahaha: you could be there a long time. :Hat:

"BB"

Lough Currane
Stickleback

Post by Lough Currane »

Top Drawer BL.
Best Pictures you will find.

Regards L.C

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I use Sony Cybershots too...but mine don't come out quite as good as yours, Bl.......

Return to “ABU Reels”