ABU Cardinal 60 question.

The ABU Reels forum.
RobTheRake
Silver Bream

ABU Cardinal 60 question.

Post by RobTheRake »

A fellow member on another forum posted a question about this reel, and I thought that one of you gentlemen may have the answer.

He's bought a Cardinal 60 with a champagne-coloured rotor. As far as I can see it's the rarest of the Cardinal 60s, but what more can you tell me about it? Does its rarity bring added value, perhaps?
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: ABU Cardinal 60 question.

Post by BeechmereLake »

Can I take it the reel is a Model A, black and gold sideplate? to be correct it needs a certain serial number too :Hat:

Regarding value? yes it should bring a premium because they are a hard find but its like anything else, just depends on what someone will pay for it. :Thumb:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

JAA

Post by JAA »

I got one in good nick for a tenner at a boot sale and I couldn't get £40 for it. 'gave it away' for the same tenner.

RobTheRake
Silver Bream

Post by RobTheRake »

Thanks for the replies, gents. :Hat:

This one is boxed, too. Whether that adds much to the value of an already cheap(ish) reel is debatable. Condition is described as good, with just a couple of small marks on the rotor. Box is very good. I've asked him to provide a picture or two, which may help. Anyone know what the serial number should be, assuming it's the real thing?

Edit - the owner gives the serial number as 780600 and confirms that it's a Model A with the appropriate side plate.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

The serial number is perfect for the reel, coincides with the release of the first version 40A & 70A which had the same serial number, the first version 60A had a serial number of 770400 when first released.
Is your friend certain its champagne paintwork on the rotor, these reels usually have the ceramic paint finish on them which is a tan color with black flecks in it, the reason I ask is a lot of people call that tan paint champagne. :eyebrow:

"BB"

RobTheRake
Silver Bream

Post by RobTheRake »

According to the owner, the reel exactly matches the appearance of the one from this link: http://www.reelstown.com/httpdocs/image ... E_ALTA.jpg

Pentonhook
Dace

Post by Pentonhook »

BL, the OP on the other forum states that the reel is a 70a and NOT a 60a.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Any of those model reels are rare and it is all about the rotor, have to say accept for my friend Marco Malevasi I dont know anyone who owned another, the biggest talking point will be if the rotor gear is made from Brass and not steel, If it is made from Brass, and I see no reason why its not, then a good listing on the bay of evil will get your friend maximum value.

"BB"

RobTheRake
Silver Bream

Post by RobTheRake »

Congratulations on spotting my deliberate mistake, and thanks for the correction. :oops: It is, of course, a 70A, and the rotor gear is made from brass. The gentleman concerned has made a recent application for forum membership, so you may get to speak in person in the near future.

Many thanks for your contributions. :Hat:

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Good evening gentlemen Iam the man who owns the Abu model 70a champagne cup that rob the rake so kindly helped me and with your help also find out what it is after a careful clean it has one tiny mark on the rotor cup apart from this it's mint and in its original box it is defiantly the champagne cup not the cream and flecked one it also has the brass internals the one in Marcos collection is its twin exactly the same thanks once again for all your help if anyone needs to know any thing about it please ask I will do my best to answer anything I can unfortunately I am unable to post any pics as yet but take mine the same as Marcos one Mike

Return to “ABU Reels”