ABU Cardinal 3

The ABU Reels forum.
Reedling
Catfish

ABU Cardinal 3

Post by Reedling »

Here are some pictures of a ABU Cardinal 3 that I purchased at a boot fair. On looking around the net and on TFF I noticed that this reel has a couple of subtle differences from those that I have seen. Firstly the handle is black rather than chrome although the serial number is lower than chrome handled example with a higher number. The logo has a frame but higher number black handled example is without this frame. Thirdly the drag has numbers on. The serial number is 790601. I would love to hear from someone who has a knowledge of these reels, who can confirm if the differences are unusual or normal. :Hat:

Imageposting.php?mode=post&f=214#

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: ABU Cardinal 3

Post by Ljm183 »

Could it be a Cardinal 3 3rd Version ..... 1979/1981 ?

http://www.reelstown.com/pag_mod_abu/brown/abu3nd.htm

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Where are you Beechmere lake? Lovely reel and from a boot sale! Wish I had that luck!!
Dave@ Hastings

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Ljm183 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:21 pm Could it be a Cardinal 3 3rd Version ..... 1979/1981 ?

http://www.reelstown.com/pag_mod_abu/brown/abu3nd.htm
That is what I came across Ljm183 but with certain little variations.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Davejass wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:23 pm Where are you Beechmere lake? Lovely reel and from a boot sale! Wish I had that luck!!
Hi Davejass, had no computer for a while, hard drive destroyed and lost everything, back up and running now so can confirm your reel is a 3 rd version Cardinal 3, better known as the black and tan reel, always a good buy in good condition with box as well and around the Autumn worth between £150-250. The most desirable Cardinal 3 reel is the Champagne painted reel which dates from 1977 and comes in the same box as your reel, the Champagne paint was rubbish and was all to easily worn off the reel and in 1978 ABU changed it to the paint finish you have on your reel, was a ceramic type paint which was harder wearing but should you drop or knock the reel it would simply chip rather than fade though.
There is another intermediate reel the same as yours but the royalty badge is on the opposite side of the reel, a later reel from 1979-81 was identical accept the silver elongated box on the name plate was missing so just had ABU Cardinal 3 with a black background.
Had you looked on this link you would of found your reel :Wink:
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=24364
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thanks so much for casting your eye over the reel I found BL and I hope you did not mind the PM I sent you. I did see the post you refer to and I also thought it was probably the 3rd version but a subtle difference was that the logo has an outline on my reel like the earlier ones and that the drag has numbers on whilst the one in your picture does not seem to have both the above. I know they are only slight differences but I thought you would like to see this example, the little insurance booklet is a bonus as well. I am really pleased with the value you have put on the reel it makes all that trooping around in the early hours worth it. Once again many thanks BL :Hat:

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Reedling wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:56 pm Thanks so much for casting your eye over the reel I found BL and I hope you did not mind the PM I sent you. I did see the post you refer to and I also thought it was probably the 3rd version but a subtle difference was that the logo has an outline on my reel like the earlier ones and that the drag has numbers on whilst the one in your picture does not seem to have both the above. I know they are only slight differences but I thought you would like to see this example, the little insurance booklet is a bonus as well. I am really pleased with the value you have put on the reel it makes all that trooping around in the early hours worth it. Once again many thanks BL :Hat:
Every once in a while the odd gem comes up at a boot sale, I have a mate who finds them more often than not but he has boot sales coming out of his ears where he lives :Hat:

One of the weak parts of the Abu Cardinal range is the drag knob especially when they are black with white or gold writings on them, you only have to get them wet for the numbers to disappear from the surface, the earlier cream ones were a bit more robust but turned a yellow/orange colour after some time, you can clean them up by leaving them in some watered down bleach solution overnight and they do come up like new, just need to be careful when drying them you dont remove the numbers. :Thumb:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thanks BL :Hat: , I think I will keep this one in the box although the kids have said to me.."go on dad use it, you always tell us you use what you have, that's what its for". I might have to eat humble pie here. :Wink:

Return to “ABU Reels”