ABU CARDINAL 40

The ABU Reels forum.
Reedling
Catfish

Re: ABU CARDINAL 40

Post by Reedling »

I have never used a ABU fixed spool reel apart from a large sea reel but have used a closed face and many multipliers over the years, Mitchells have been my mainstay. Earlier this year I found a lovely little reel at a boot fair a Cardinal 3 and must say that on turning the handle, engaging the bale arm and adjusting the clutch it is so so smooth in operation. My only other old reel that comes very very close is an Italian Alcedo which I have used on the bank this year I must add. I am a little loathe to use my Cardinal 3 as it is so pristine and boxed but I shall be looking around at a Cardinal that would be suitable for my Carp type fishing. The 55 seems to be the one but the one in the video used by Mr Yates above looks inviting, I shall follow this and similar threads with interest.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Reedling wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:32 am I have never used a ABU fixed spool reel apart from a large sea reel but have used a closed face and many multipliers over the years, Mitchells have been my mainstay. Earlier this year I found a lovely little reel at a boot fair a Cardinal 3 and must say that on turning the handle, engaging the bale arm and adjusting the clutch it is so so smooth in operation. My only other old reel that comes very very close is an Italian Alcedo which I have used on the bank this year I must add. I am a little loathe to use my Cardinal 3 as it is so pristine and boxed but I shall be looking around at a Cardinal that would be suitable for my Carp type fishing. The 55 seems to be the one but the one in the video used by Mr Yates above looks inviting, I shall follow this and similar threads with interest.
Whilst I would agree with Beechmere Lake in his earlier post a 66 would probably be a better bet for a first Cardinal for carp fishing. The 55 is a bit of a cult reel and can demand high prices. There are still plenty of the 66 about so you can generally pick one up for between £35 and £45. You can nearly double those prices for a 55. Both reels are bomb-proof with the possible exception of the spools on the 55 which have been known to explode under pressure, although this is rare. I've never had any trouble with the bail trip on my 66s but you can always pick up a scruffy one cheaply to use for spares.
Last edited by SeanM on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thanks SeanM I will have a read up and look at that model as well. :Thumb: :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have both 66s and 55s. The 66, or one of similar design, does not look out of place on a cane rod.

Whilst the 55 looks incredibly 'modern' and has been used, as they are black, mostly on 'black rods' where they compare well with more modern reels.

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

I still use them when I'm doing a bit of river Carping.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Fred wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:04 pm I still use them when I'm doing a bit of river Carping.
Looks absolutely superb Fred. Haven't seen Monkey climbers like that for a long time either.

:drool:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Yes, they do look nice Fred, and I love the old monkey climbers.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

My fishing has changed somewhat over the last decade or two and since my feeder fishing days accuracy has been paramount for me, whether feeding fishing or Carp fishing I like pretty much all my bait on a dustbin lid during the months of Spring, Summer and Autumn, Winter it needs to be a diner plate. With this in mind and fishing distances of up to 90yds on certain waters the reel has to be able to cope with such casting and this is why for me the Cardinal 55 is the better reel, its anodized paintwork is also something special, you dont often see them in a battered state, in fact I have never seen a 55 in poor condition and I have seen hundreds of them :eyebrow:
Just going back to the casting part of my fishing, with accuracy being king, the one thing missing from the 55 is a line clip, with this in mind this year I asked Les Shaw if he could commission a few which he has done, and done very well, using the metal spool too has eliminated the possibility of a spool explosion, I also have to say I think the yellow spool arbor helps (on the original spools) too by not allowing the line (or braid :Scared: ) to strangle the spool, for me I now have the perfect Cardinal 55 :cheers:

The 66 I think is a sound fishing reel and has a wonderful drag on it, just has that horrible plastic trip in the reel, the part is fast becoming a hard one to find so be extra careful when buying a reel. The later reel, Cardinal 66X, also has the same trip but also has the 5.1 gear ratio fitted, so again is the same reel as the early 66 but has a different paint job and is a high speeder where the 66 before 1975 was 3.2:1 gear ratio..
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”